When do you go into the hospital???

So last night I was in triage for preterm labor issues and I heard the woman in the curtained section next to mine was dialated at a 6- she was contracting PAINFULLY every 3 minutes. and they Dr would NOT admit her-the nurse told the Dr she didn't feel comfortable sending the woman home- but the Dr. said DO IT- so she did- she told the woman to walk for 30 minutes and come back....I am TERRIFIED- WHEN are you supposed to go into the hospital to deliver? I would be SO mad if I was that woman I would have PUNCHED someone!!! The good news- she never left- she just wen into the waiting room, but I felt HORRIBLE for her....so what is the standard operating procedure- WHEN do you go into the hospital???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was told to go when my contractions were consistantly 5 minutes apart. I can not believe that jerk wanted her to leave. I would have given him a piece of my mind!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:34 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i read to use the 4-1-1 method. when contractions are 4 minutes apart lasting a minute for an hour.

how long was that woman there before she was sent away? my friend seriously labored at 6 inches for three days. she would go into the hospital but wouldn't go any farther so they would send her home so that she could eat and be in her own bed for a little bit longer. but yes, if that happened to me... someone would have gotten shanked.
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 11:40 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If I was that lady, I would have rose hell in that hospital. That doctor just sounds lazy and ignorant.

But like PPer, I was also told when the contractions are between 5-7 minutes apart to come to the hospital.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:44 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Thats insurance for you. The dr. probably most likely thought she would be in labor for a lot longer so sent her home so she could be more comfortable and so they wouldn't get stuck with a huge medical bill.
    sararsara

Answer by sararsara at 11:45 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• That doctor sounds like an ass. I was in the ER last month for bleeding, not spotting. The ER doc never checked me because he was lazy. He wouldn't come talk to me after he spoke to my husband and said I was just spotting. I asked the Doc if that was his medical opinion from his years of having a menstrual cycle. He walked away. Ass.

Your question. Sorry, had to vent. I would agree with the other Mama's. 5 Minutes or less. Do not let them dismiss you. You know your body and pain better than anyone. If that ass tries to send you home when you are in labor then insist on a doctor that has actually gone to medical school and not one that took correspondence classes by means of cliff notes. Jerk.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• When we took our Bradly class we were told to go when you notice you are in transition. It is the hardest part of labor but the fastest. It when your contractions start double peaking and your hot and then all the sudden cold.
    dreamercat1

Answer by dreamercat1 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Wow thats bad. I would have been PO'd if that were me. I would tell them they will have to kick me out. You can go from 6 - 10 in minutes. I would have a hard time dealing with that though.
    Ng.Oddity

Answer by Ng.Oddity at 3:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Was it at St. Pete General with Dr. Lorenzo?
    That's what happend to me, I was 4cm dilated, having regular contractions, and I have a bulging amniotic sac and he just sent me home. Luckily, I haven't gone into labor yet, but I'm due anytime now. I feel that ladies pain, one of the doctor's at my office is like that
    snjbjac

Answer by snjbjac at 4:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2009