Whats the best way to house break a puppy?

I am getting a 7week old pup today and it will need to be house broke, but its been a long time since I've had a puppy so I don't know where to begin to start house training him.

littleguys_rule

Asked by littleguys_rule at 11:23 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pets

• Crate training-- but you've got to stick to it! I raised my pups with crate training, and it's been the best. You need to keep a regular schedule as a 7 week old puppy cannot hold its bladder for very long. Take it out ever couple of hours until it's about 10 weeks old, then 2.5 hours, and so on until it can hold it through the night. You don't come back inside until it has done it's business. I also trained by dogs to differentiate between "pee" and "poop" so that I could ensure it was completely empty before leaving it by itself. I also recommend placing a bell on the door outside and ringing it before you go out so that it associates potty with the bell ring. Soon, it can let you know when it needs to go.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:27 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• just take him outside every 1.5-2 hrs, and say go potty...and he wont always go, but especially take him after he eats, about 15-20 minutes. you can get some puppy pads for incase there are accidents in the house, my dog never used them really though. but they've worked for a lot of people i know
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 11:28 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I crate trained mine.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 1:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• What worked for me (and I am a sahm), when the puppy was out of the kennel he was on a leash. This was for a number of reasons, it gets him use to being on a leash and a puppy on a leash right there with you will not have an accident without you there. Take the puppy out ever hour, let them play and then try to get them to got potty. Also, take them to a certain part of the yard every time and that usually sticks with them. Also if you don't catch them in the act you have lost your window of opportunity to "correct" them. If you catch them in the act just say firmly no and take them outside immediately. I kid you not my puppy housebroke in 2 days!!!! Of course there will be accidents but he did great!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Patience and consistency. Take the puppy out as soon as they eat, drink, wake up and before they sleep. Be patient, typically puppies dont want to go in the house and when they do it is truly an acccident. They want to please you so be sure to through a party everytime they go potty outside and it will happen pretty quickly.
    26Sarah

Answer by 26Sarah at 2:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• We crate trained ours. Then slowly worked from crate to small room (ours was bathroom) to hard floors, to entire house. Works well. But 7 weeks seems so young, am I nuts or does that sound young. So with a puppy that small, you may need to fill a soda bottle with warm water and wrap it in a small towel, that way puppy doesn't get scared in the crate.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Take it out every hour at least, take it out right after eating and if it doesnt poo, give it 10 mins, take it out right after a nap. Everytime it pottys outside praise the hell out of it. If you crate train you need to take it outside just as much.
    Anonymous

• Crate training
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2009