My DD is allergic to Dog Dander and of course we have a dog...what to do?!?

Kailyn my DD has eczema and has a mild allergy to dog dander. We have had Lucy the dog for almost 5yrs. Kailyn and Lucy are best buds. We noticed that when Kailyn is not around Lucy her skin gets better..she doesnt break out as bad or scratch her boo-boos as much. Lucy is also an inside dog and she sheds like crazy! We only have carpet in the bedrooms.
So what would you do in my situation?? No one wants to get rid of Lucy but if we have for Kailyn to get better then that's what we'll do.

Kam06

Asked by Kam06 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• There are anti-allergen shampoos out there for the dog to help rid them of the dander. Also, thoroughly brushing CONSTANTLY can help (it stimulates the oil glands that help keep the skin moist and relieves some of the dander, not to mention gets rid of the irritating loose hair). You can also ask a local groomer what they would do, what products they would use, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You may have to find her another home. Those shampoos do not really work and when it comes to your child, she comes first.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Well you can try the allergen shampoos and brushing, but they usually do not work and you will probably have to find the dog another home. Maybe a friend so that your LO can still visit once in a while?
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:47 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Please talk to your doctor about your daughters allergies than he or she should tell you either what medication may work in helping your daughter be able to interact with the dog without suffering too much from the allergy, or tell you what specialists are in your area that can help you better with your situation. Pet dander allergies vary from person to person. Some people with this allergy just can't handle being around any dogs, including so called "hypoallergenic" Poodles, others only are allergic to some dog breeds, and not ALL of them, and there are others do very well with allergy medication.
    If your daughter's allergies are so severe that allergy medication won't help at all, than I suggest surrendering the pup to a no-kill shelter.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 11:50 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No brainer. Get rid of the dog.

Hmmm....your own child or the dog? Guess who wins?
    Anonymous

• Well, the hypoallergenic shampoos are more for the dog's skin than the peoples. The dog will always have dander and it will get on everything. Clothes, furniture, blankets, toys... I would say that you may need to find a new home for Lucy. i know it would be tough. It's very hard to give up a pet even for a noble cause like helping your child. Like an above poster mention there are dogs that are fine for most people with allergies. When the time comes and you are ready to try another dog that would be something to consider. I understand your hesitation with parting with Lucy but in the end it may be the best option for Kailyn. When she is older you guys can all o pick out a new dog that will suit her needs but it would never replace Lucy!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Vacuum daily. Use a product like Arm & Hammer pet for the carpet to help lift the hair out of the carpet. Brush the dog daily, and get a shed-less shampoo. My son is allergic to dogs as well, but the negative impact getting rid of the dogs would have on his emotional health is not worth it. The difference though, is that we don't see a difference between when he's around them and when he isn't. He is far more bothered by other environmental allergies, and is on Zyrtec daily.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 3:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• To me it would be a no brainer, the dog would be going to a new home. My child, his health and his safety are what comes first. I am allergic to pet dander and had to get rid of my dog as a child, I survived.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Eliminating dairy will help the excema; it make lessen the allergy symptoms, too

Answer by rkoloms at 11:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2009