How much are school lunches?

How much does your child's school charge for full price school lunches?

Here in Fredericksburg, VA, it went up to $2.25....ouch!
The food is lousy, too, my girls told me and they don't give you very much. I pack them a better sack lunch/snack for that kind of money.

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 11:51 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in

• I believe school lunches in my son's middle school are $2.25 a lunch and they are pretty nasty. They do offere ala carte lunches and prices vary depending on the item chosen. He tends to get the ala carte. Breakfast, I think is the same price as lunches but not sure, he doesn't eat breakfast at school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• im 21 now, it was $2 when i went to school. i live in new york.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i live in jersey and i'm 24 but when i was in high school my lunches were 3.75
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My son's school lunch is $1.30 (full price) for lunch and I believe 70-80 cents for breakfast and 50 cents- $1 for snack. They have 2-3 options for lunch every day and their food is very good most days.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I know it's over a dollar for full price and about 75 for half...when his teacher last year told me he wasn't eating his lunch, I started packing his lunch. We were paying for his breakfast and lunch and he would skip breakfast. So, after she told me what he was doing. I make sure he eats breakfast and has a sack lunch. Comment on your lunch cost...OMGosh..that's obscene to pay that much. No wonder parents can't afford their kids lunches.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Also, when I was a kid, my lunch cost 75 cents. I can remember going to the movies on 75 cents. My dad would give me 5 dollars and I could get a coke and popcorn. Now, it costs, (depending where you are) over 25 dollars....

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• When I was a in HS lunch was $1.75 I think and there was a good variety: salad bar, sandwich/sub bar, pizza, the daily hot lunch, pasta bar (and these choices were offered every day!) I think my son's lunch costs the same in elementary now (about 10 yrs later) and they don't offer a whole lot.
    Anonymous

• Lunch here is around $2 a day for the basic lunch. Our high school has recieved awards for their food. They have excellent food!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Well I have to comment on this one as I am a school cafeteria manager I think our food is very good. I get tons of compliments on our food and kids ask me for the recipes so their moms can cook GOOD food. Our lunches just went up to 2.00 this year 1.40 for breakfast. They get to eat all the fruits and vegegis they want but see the kids say it's yuck b/c they don't want fruits and veggies they want the meat items that aren't so good for you. The only days that I would say we don't have good food are those days when I have to cook spaghetti but then I hate spaghetti so I think it's not good the kids LOVE IT!! I am also a certified Dietary Manager so I still go to classes to learn new stuff all the time. I personally know that you can't always make good lunches for what you get for the price I still have a 7 yr old that takes her lunch at times b/c of something she doesn't like like the spaghetti day.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• In Chicago, the school lunches are horrid!! They are loaded with bad fats, sodium, awful chemicals, and there is nothing green in sight.

I have assembled a great list of bagged lunch ideas; send me a message if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2009