Henry Louis Gates arrested in MA! Racism?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/20/henry-louis-gates-jr-arre_n_241407.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• NO, he showed TWO pieces of identification. His Harvard ID and his state ID. Do you think three pieces would have been enough? He's in his home, there's no burglary, the police's insistence on questioning him for no good reason show that they were being unnecessarily contrary. Professor Gates may have verbalized that they were behaving in a racist manner but that's all he did. The fact that they were racist was right there in the open.

benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No racism other than from the man arrested that I can see. He should have cooperated and thanked his neighbors for looking out for his home rather than try to play the race card. Stupid on his part.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• from the article:
    "By the time police arrived, Gates was already inside. Police say he refused to come outside to speak with an officer, who told him he was investigating a report of a break-in.

"Why, because I'm a black man in America?" Gates said, according to a police report written by Sgt. James Crowley. "

"Gates continued to yell at me, accusing me of racial bias and continued to tell me that I had not heard the last of him," the officer wrote.

You can't threaten a police officer. He should have shown identification earlier, But after he did, he should have stopped yelling and the police should have left. Both are at fault in my opinion. A white person yelling at a cop would have also gotten arrested, I've seen it happen. It might have been racism, but Gates didn't help his situation any.
    Anonymous

• Only if it's racist for police to respond to calls of a break-in when the suspects are described as black. I guess I now know that if I see a home that looks like it's being broken into by black men I'm not supposed to call the police, because that would make me a racist.
    Anonymous

• Get a black president and this is how some choose to act.Who is surprised though.IDIOT
    Anonymous

• Why would a Harvard Professor need to play the race card in his own home? There's no racism on his part that I can see. Once he showed his ID the police should have left, end of story. Maybe they were just pissed that a black man wouldn't bend over and kiss their lily white asses.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i live in mass and remember this on the news.from what i gather he should have shown some id.he said do you know who i am.he is the head of racial affairs for maybe harvard?but a big college around there.an african american woman even came on and said he should of shown some id...it looked to me like he felt as if he was entitled because of the job he had.not ever one knew who he was.including the police.and from what i saw they didnt give him a hard time until he started up.so my feelings were he should have known.i mean he did live in a part of boston and it could of been anyone breaking in black or white.
    Anonymous

• And he can't be too idiotic since all charges were dropped.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Is it a possibility that he felt entitled because he was IN HIS OWN HOUSE?
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Is it possible that because the police were called on a BURGLARY attempt he could have been gateful they came to investigate? Geez benjamink by you reasoning all any burglar would need to do is say its their house and the cop should just leave. Get real.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2009