Homemade baby food. any suggestions??

I want to start cooking food an home for my baby. But im not sure i know how to make it. Please give me tips and suggestion, maybe even a recipe. and what tools ima need. what kind of food to buy......anything that comes to your mind would be helpful.

Cristy-1208

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I bought organic fruit, peeled it, simmered it in a little plain water till it was soft, then put it through a food mill.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/index.html
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You can get a little food processor at wal mart or similiar stores pretty cheap (think mine was less than 15). Then try fruits and veggies to start. Keep in mind gas factor. ie prob dont wanna start with broccoli that type of thing. most babies love carrots and sweet potatoes. But easiest way is like geminilove said. if theres a peel remove that, then boil. afterward put in processor. if its too thick just add a bit of water. bananas, peaches, soft fruit like that you shouldnt have to cook. Just use your best judgement. I found my little guy really likes avacodoes too....but beware, if theres a latex allergy, those could cause problems. Hope this helps!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If you already have a food processor or a blender, you can use either one. If you are going out to buy one, I would recommend a food processor because they are easier to clean.

I started with vegetables because a lot of times if you start with fruits, the baby develops a taste for sweets early on and it is harder to get them to enjoy tastes that are not sweet. I didn't usually make baby food in big batches, I would cook double of whatever vegetable I was cooking for dinner, and after it was done, I would cook the portion for the baby food a little longer if required (also adding additional water if needed), and when it got nice and soft, puree it in the blender or food processor. Add a little of the cooking water if needed to get it to about the consistency of apple sauce. I froze it in ice cube trays and would just pop out a cube or two and warm it up as needed.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• http://nurture-baby.com
    christenbabb

Answer by christenbabb at 1:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I agree with everyone so far but don't use a microwave to thaw the frozen baby food, it zaps the nutrients right out of it. Also, use only one food at a time, don't mix them. Apples can cause constipation so beware. If the food is too sweet, try mixing rice cereal with it. always boil, never add spices or salt, and make a small batch first to see if baby likes it. I never process bananas cause I just peel it, eat half, and scape some off with a spoon for my daughter. She loves it cause its fresh and big girl food.
    brittneysmom31

Answer by brittneysmom31 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Annabel Karmel has written a couple of books on babyfood that are very good. I forget the titles. They explain everything you need, and what kind of food to introduce at what age. You can get it at the library. Also check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com. They have a lot of recipes, and you can search on different fruits and vegetables for nutritional facts and recipes.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2009