Homemade baby food. any suggestions??

I want to start cooking food an home for my baby. But im not sure i know how to make it. Please give me tips and suggestion, maybe even a recipe. and what tools ima need. what kind of food to buy......anything that comes to your mind would be helpful.

Cristy-1208

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• when my daughter was a baby, i was a single mom and money was tight. a friend of mine gave me a small food processer and it would grind up anything i put in it. i would grind up mixed veggies, potatoes, anything i thought would be healthy. my daughter didn't get her first tooth till her first b-day. another reason i had to grind everything she ate. you can probly even grind up fruit such as peaches and if you go to your local farmers market you know its fresh. you can probly find a small food grinder at wal-mart or target.
    mamamia431

Answer by mamamia431 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i did the same as mamamia431.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I asked about this too in one of my groups. There is actually a group on this site for ladies who make their own baby food. The suggestions I got were to either bake or steam the fruits, veggies or meats, use a small food processor to puree them, put in ice cube trays to freeze, then transfer to a plastic baggie & label & date them for storage in the freezer. The ladies who answered my post were super helpful & said it's really easy & fun to do. Also, if you google (making your own baby food) there are a ton of sites out there with suggestions, how to & recipies.
    JlynnDoyle

Answer by JlynnDoyle at 12:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• honestly i would make my son's food at home when he was little.. I bought a little blender.. and would make a portion of his food the same as what we ate..

I mean If i had made spagetti.. a half cup whent into the blender.. and puree away and he had spagetti..

if I made pork chops and mashed potoato's he had potatoes
    with puree'd veggies..

you get the drift..
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• personally I have a Magic Bullet (got it from my mom who never used hers) and used that for fruits & veggies. For me it was easier to make small portions. Here are a couple sites if you want.

http://www.cuisinart.com/baby/recipes/index.php

http://www.mo-river.net/Health/home_made_baby_foods.htm

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/homemade-baby-food-recipes-intro.htm

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009