For those of you who homeschool- especially for the preschool/ kindergartener age group

Hey- I will be officially starting homeschool with my 5.5 yr old and my 4 yr old this september and I was wondering- is it really really important to have a seperate classroom for them? To tell you the truth we just dont have an extra room, but I was thinking about setting up a littl nook in their bedroom or in the living room for them, would that be alright for them? Also what do you do to make your teaching area more (I really don't know how else to put it) educational or interesting for the kids? And what kind of materials should i get, like I know I should get maybe a bulletin board and table and chairs- but what else is needed or maybe fun to have? sorry for all the questions but the more info and ideas you can give me the better! thanks!

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in

• nooooooo, please dont homeschool your kids. thats so sad =( they need to make friends, and learn how to socialize and have life experiences so that they can better function in jobs and relationships when they grow up. you are cheating them out of a childhood of friendships and fun. put them in a private school if you really think public school is that bad.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You know Dollar General has a ton of school stuff. I decorated a whole area in the house for my son when he was 3 for school. They have a lot of neat stuff for it. We had a separate space, but not a whole room. He loved it though.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I homeschool 4 kids in a 1200 sq ft house. My living room looks like a Kindergarten classroom. Like Hannah said, Dollar Tree is AWESOME for classroom supplies. Of all the people I know who homeschool, only a small fraction have a "classroom". Even those that have the space for one often don't create one because they feel it sends the wrong message - that learning happens in that room alone instead of every moment of every day everywhere.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't think they do. My son is only 3 1/2 so I haven't done a whole lot with him yet, but I would say the majority of the families in my church homeschool and I've seen how several of them do it. None of them have extra space for a school room, most have large families with no extra room at all. I think most of them do school at the kitchen table, or if a particular kid is easily distracted that child might have a special place or their own desk to work at. A preschooler wouldn't need that though. I just sit with my son at the couch or at the table. I think getting them their own desk might be nice if you have the space, but If it were me I wouldn't want to use it. Sitting at a desk alone is boring and uncomfortable to me, I would prefer to sit at the table with everyone else.
    And by the way none of the 50+ homeschooled children I know are poorly socialized, have limited life experience or lack friends.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• um purpul- i didnt ask for your input on homeschooling i was asking for ideas for my homeschooling classroom so if you dont have any ideas please keep it moving- thanks!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My kids generally do their work at the dining table, living room or my bedroom (just off the living room), wherever is comfortable that day. When they were that young I kept binders of colorful visual aids that I could remove and tape/tack to the wall so they could see them during the lessons. I LOVE my dry erase board! It's not wall size, more like 10 x 15 or so. I can show them an example and they can copy it right on the dry erase board, then we erase. It's not as messy as chalk. I'd also recommend lots of construction paper, glue sticks, safety scissors, crayons, pencils and bright motivational stickers! I would often let them do their worksheets in crayon if they chose. They were also give the crafty stuff to decorate their own folder and I used the folder to keep their progressive worksheets in.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• give it a rest, Purple, you don't know what you're talking about.

OP, if you go to Lakeshore Learning's website you can find themed borders, calendars, classroom posters for all subjects and lots of other great materials.

If you're interested I have a group here on CM for Secular Homeschoolers, but religious homeschoolers are also welcome to join - if only temporarily - to check out the list of links we've complied, over 100 online homeschooling resources. anyone who's interested can apply to the group here.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:33 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• We use our kitchen table. Some times my son will finish his work in his room where he has a desk. I have to say that my dry erase board it something I cannot live without! Everything else I can recommend or think of has already been mentioned! Good Luck! I love homeschooling and having so much flexability!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I am lucky in the fact that we are small business owners that have a shop with office space, so I "lost" "my office" and turned it into a classroom! Each of us have our own desks (thanks to word getting around that I was looking for desks, I didn't pay a dime for any of them!)However in your situation I would find an area that you can designate as "a classroom" because structure is the key to success in homeschooling. If you don't have space for two desks I would put a small table with 2 chairs for them. Take construction paper and make name tags for each side of the table and designate a spot for each of them to put their books and other materials. We do not sit at desks all day, however especially at their ages it is impt. to instill in them that this is their learning environment and when they sit there, you are the teacher so they understand and respect that fact. We made our own classroom decorations using what we had.
    MOMumentalJOY

Answer by MOMumentalJOY at 10:00 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• We made a perpetual calendar using felt and velcro. We also made our own flash cards using
    pictures, #'s, and letters cut from mags,newspaper, etc. or drew our own pics! Get creative!
    That's what it's all about! And PLEASE whatever you do, don't feed into the CRAP(excuse my french) others tell you about lack of socialism, or job skills. If your anything like me you chose to homeschool because you want your children to have your good morals and values not leave it to chance. My children are heavily involved in youth group and serving in both the community we live in and the one we work in. They have better manners and social skills than some adults I know. I am very proud of my choice to be a real parent and take control to ensure a secure future for our children. They are learning "the family business" as well as being involved in our home-based business ventures. No matter what never 2nd guess yourself in front of them:)
    MOMumentalJOY

Answer by MOMumentalJOY at 10:23 PM on Jul. 22, 2009