Preschool Heartache

Hi all,

Any recommendations on how to break it to my little girl that she can't go to preschool? We apparently don't qualify for Harford county preschool and we certianly can't afford to pay for it. It's so expensive! Normally I wouldn't mind that much at all. I'm mostly a stay at home mom and I'm greedy so I want her with me as much as possible. But she wants to go to 'school' so badly and she knows that she was supposed to start this fall. I just don't know how to break it to her.

MommaJen536

Asked by MommaJen536 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I just broke it to my son that he's not old enough for Kindergarten here. All the other states we lived in he made the cut off no problem, but here he doesn't. He took it ok. I just told him he's not quite old enough but I told him I would take him to lots of play dates and to the park and library and stuff and that he would get to start the next year.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• there isnt anything free through the schools ? here in cali my son got in thrgouh the schools and its paid by the state i cant afford it either so i got lucky.....i would have no clue how to break that to her she is gonna be upset and preschool is soooo important know days cuz they have to know how to right there name now where they live know the abcs coutn to 50 sit still and they start doing MATH its nuts
    Anonymous

• I think your best bet is to go to your local education supply store and pick up materials for preschool activities and tell her she was going to 'school' with mommy this year so she can be ready for the big kids school next year. Homescvhool her. She needs to know all the basics before kinder anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I have a few ideas that might work for you.

1. Check out Mother's day out programs in your area and see if any do learning/school type activities with the kids. I think they are usually priced pretty low.

2. Check out the prices for part-time preschool. If you can find one that's only mornings or a few days each week the cost might be lower.

3. Find another mom or two in the same situation and take turns having school at your houses one or two days a week. If you only have preschool age children this would give the mom not "teaching school" that day a break, or if you all have younger children one of you could take the younger ones so the "school kids" could concentrate on school. If you get a group of 2 to 4 moms in on this you could each plan fun school activities for the kids.

I hope you find something that will work, because I would hate for your daughter to be discouraged when she's excited about school. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Make your own little preschool. We did that for our daughter because we didn't want her to go to preschool where we currently live. We got those little school work books from walmart and a dry erase board book that had letters numbers and shapes. She loved it. Every day she would ask if she could do school work.
    penguinqueengi

Answer by penguinqueengi at 12:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Thanks everyone. I'm not concerned so much with her education level. She's very smart and I'm not worried about her not being prepared in that way. It's more the social interaction and getting use to a routine that I'm so worried about. I've been a stay at home mom her whole life, she's not use to being with other kids in groups.
    MommaJen536

Answer by MommaJen536 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Momma Jen..if you can't find a mothers Day out program or something look up your local library. They usually have story day and craft day once or twice a week. Also if you have a Borders nearby they have a childrens craft program. Oursi s on Sat. Mornings at 11 but I don't know about others. If you aren't opposed to it find a Sunday School for her to attend. All great social, group interaction activities.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Can you afford mothers day out? A lot of mothers day out programs are only 3-4 hours in the morning twice a week. Might be a good solution...
    Anonymous