do you believe...

that things like the full moon, solar/lunar eclipses or other cosmic interruptions can cause labor?

tomorrow is that solar eclipse and i am due the 1st, and found out yesterday that i am 2.5cm dilated... my hubby is all excited cuz "that is when all the great kings are born" and all the girls i worked with at my morning job had kids on full moons... any other stories? would you suggest i hunker down for the day like it's y2k?

spazlilsister

Asked by spazlilsister at 12:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well 1st they said that the solar eclipse is over India,
    and 2nd i don't believe it
    Anonymous

• I personally don't believe it either all though just because you are 2.5cm doesn't mean anything then you are at the end. My sister was 3 cm for 4 weeks. Dialation means nothing until you are in labor so don't get to excited! Sorry for the let down! For the record I don't know if I was ever diatiaed before I went into labor because there is no reason for a dr to be sticking their hand up there until you are in labor!
    dreamercat1

Answer by dreamercat1 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Well, Ok I guess I personally don't believe it, however when my sister went into labor it was on a full moon and the L&D floor was PACKED- I think its not so much because of the full moon but because woman get so hyped up about it, it causes labor to begin- Also I think half the people that go into L&D on a full moon is probably experiencing false labor, because the next morning after my sister had her baby (the full moon) there was only 4 babies in the nursery, and I was in Milwaukee CO Wisconsin, the biggest county in Wisconsin! Lol.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think the full moon has a lot more to do with your cycle than it being a celestial event. Most women menstruate on a new moon and ovulate (hence conceive) on a full moon, so it makes sense that they would also be ready to deliver at about the same time when the moon is full again. I think it is just a coincidence, not that the full moon causes labor. Or that any other kinds of astronomical event cause labor.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• there is more of gravetational pull on full moons so maybe. although i think the baby will come when it's ready.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2009