inadequate child care?

My son has been going to a home daycare for almost a year now. We havent had any problems at all, she's been great. So heres the issue. Currently he's only going part time and I forgot to let her know I was dropping him off this morning. When I got there she was apparently across the street at her sisters house and came running across the yard with two babies when she saw my car. Which was fine, no problem. But when we got inside I noticed she had my son, the two babies and one other two year old. I KNOW that two year old was not with her when she came back which means she was there alone. I have no idea how long she was gone, I only waited for her for a few minutes and my son wasnt in any danger because he was with me but it still makes me nervous. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm pretty laid back, so as long as the 2 year old was contained...in a crib or playpen or something, then It wouldn't bother me. I've left my own son inside in his playpen for a few minutes while I've run outside. If the 2 year old was asleep too or something I wouldnt think too much of it. Now, if the child was left wandering the house or was able to walk out the door or something like that I would be upset. Or, if the child was upset and had been screaming and crying, that would upset me too.

Did you see where she had the 2 year old? Was the 2 year old visibly upset from being left?

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think thats irresponsible. Kids that small should never...NEVER be left unattended.
    KayMom829

Answer by KayMom829 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• She wasnt upset about being left but she wasnt contained either, just hanging out in the living room and roaming around the house. I mean I'm sure she was fine, the house is pretty baby proof. When she heard me knock on the door she tried to open it but shes too short.
    Anonymous

• I would look for another daycare. To me leaving a 2 year old alone in her house while she is across the street even for a minute is unacceptable.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I would worry about leaving a 2 year old in the house alone. 2 year olds are very curious and love to get into things, they can find things to get into that you wouldn't even think of. That def. isn't a good idea! I often have several of my grandkids here, and if I need to go outside for any reason I will sure take the walking ones with me!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Nope, I would find somewhere else. You said the 2 year old tried to let you in....hello...you could have been anyone! Even though the sitter was across the street, it sounds like she saw you right away, but I would still find somewhere else. Since you seem comfortable with her, at least give her the benefit of the doubt. Does she have someone else who helps watch the children? Maybe they were in the restroom or something when you came in. I would ask her and if I wasn't 100% comfortable with her answer, I would find elsewhere and consider reporting her to the state, assuming she is a licensed childcare provider.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yeah, okay that would bug me ALOT then since the 2 year old wasn't contained!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 3:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2009