• In the Spotlight:

My 18 month old daughter has started hitting me (in the face) so what should I do? I firmly tell her "no" but she thinks I'm playing a game! Also she has hit her little friend as well. What do I do??

howdoi

Asked by howdoi at 12:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Everytime she does it, take her hand and say something like "Be gentle" or "Be nice", over & over again. She understands a lot right now, and will get it right soon enough. I would not suggest smacking her hand because that doesn't teach her that hitting isn't right. You can also explain to her after you tell her be gentle, something like "You can give mommy booboos if you hit", so that she understands what happens when you hit the way she is. Good luck!
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 12:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Dont always say no! Tell her to be nice or that isnt nice or that hurts! If you repeat no over and over they wont care anymore!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 12:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My son smacked me in the face for the first time the other day. I just grabbed his hands and told him "No! That hurts mommy!" He thought I was playing and smacked me again. I put him in his "naughty spot" in his room and closed the door for thirty seconds. He hasn't hit me again ever since, and if he does, it's right to time-out. I don't think one, or one and half is too young to be put in time out. My son has learned that there's consequence to his behavior, even though he may not quite yet understand that hitting hurts, he knows he won't be getting the attention he wants from me. (He's only 13 months old.)
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My son does the same. Whether it hurts or not, which a lot of times it DOES hurt, I become the actress and over dramaitically let him know mommy is hurt and sad. I make him say sorry. He used to just pat me a couple months ago. (he's 21 months now) and that was his way of saying sorry, but now he is saying sorry ("saw we") and patting me. It's really cute! LOL!

Just this week though he figured out if he hits mommy and says "saw-we" right away, he thinks it gets him out of trouble. So now we're working on that. We started time out with him last month as well. But he seems to like it, so there's a whole other problem!

Just keep letting her know it is naughty and hurts you and make her say sorry, she'll get it eventually. When she hits the other child, do the same. Tell her how sad the other child is and that it hurt and made him/her sad. Make her give a hug or a pat to the other child.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2009