Salsa & Spaghetti Sauce Recipes.

My Grandparents are growing a bucket load of tomatoes. They are finally turning Red, and we have some Yellow Pear one's as well. I'm wanting to make and can fresh spaghetti sauce, and fresh salsa.
My Mom can't eat store canned sauce or salsa cause of the salt in it. So I figured I would make some up for her, so she can enjoy her faves with out the salt problem :-)

Thanks in Advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• salsa - 3-4 ripe tomatoes, 1 each jalapeno, anaheim, serrano, habanero and yellow pepper, 1 onion, 3-4 cloves garlic, 1 lemon, 1 lime, 2 tbsp sugar (or to taste), dash salt & black pepper (to taste), 1 can each El Pato (yellow and green), one bunch cilantro.

From there, we combine the above to taste (usually about 1/2 of each pepper with seeds and ribs removed), juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/2 lime, depending on the heat we want and how much flavor the other ingredients have imparted.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I like to can plain tomato sauce and then add my own mix to make the spaghetti sauce.

Spaghetti Sauce Mix:

2 Tbsp. Parsley flakes
    2 Tbsp. Dry onion flakes
    1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
    2 tsp. oregano
    1 tsp. minced garlic
    Add above ingredients to 1 qt. canned tomato sauce (canned without salt). If the sauce is thin add 1 to 2 Tbsp. cornstarch to the mixture. Bring to a boil and serve.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My mom makes her own spaghetti sauce from fresh tomatoes. The only thing is that it takes a long time to cook. She usually blanches her tomatoes and then breaks them up in her sauce pot. Then she cooks down the liquid for several hours before adding seasonings. Then it is just the same as usual, however you make your own sauce. It tastes fantastic. GL!
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 1:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2009