organizing logs? What are you supposed to keep track of after the baby is born (food intake, diaper changes, etc.)?

I am setting up a binder with paper and dividers and a calendar because I know we're supposed to keep a log of how many times the baby is going to poo and pee and how much they eat and for how long and what not. Can anyone tell me specifically what their doctor had them keep track of? I'm not due til September 17th but I'm running out of things to do!!!

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 12:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• was never told to but when my lil guy got sick they would ask things like how many diapers he was going threw so pee poop what color was the poop was it watery or was it like tar sometimes even smell... and thankfuly i was able to say what it was how it looked and how many ( in a 2 hour period ) also what he ate how many times how much how he was acting ( u could use smiley stickers or frown stickers ) also if he took a nap i would put naped for 1 hour. good luck...
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I didn't keep track of anything. I wasn't ever told to.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I didnt keep track, I fed when hungry, changed when dirty etc... Now for my son who was a breast baby, I did keep track of which boob i finished with and the total number of diapers a day to insure proper nutrition but nothing was given to the Dr. And I did not have it in a binder. I had it for my own info for the first two weeks after that it, I didnt do it anymore. My first two children I didnt do it at all, they were formula fed so I knew how many ounces they were getting at each feeding.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think wet and dirty diapers was the only thing the doctor told me to specifically keep track of, but I also found it useful to keep track of feedings and sleep for a while. If you are nursing it is helpful to keep track of the time and length of feeding sessions, and also which side you started with each time. If you are bottle feeding it is useful to know the times and amounts of bottles. I also kept track of naps and night time sleep so I could look at the log and determine what the babies' natural patterns were. I used my logs a lot to help with setting schedules that worked with my babies natural patterns. I kept track of more things for a longer time than most moms do with my twins because I was really paranoid I'd forget who had what and when; after a while it became kind of silly, but it helped me feel secure and prepared.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I was never told to keep track of anything. I never did.

I do know that some preemie parents are told to track things sometimes after they bring home the baby....but I've not even heard of that very often.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Its a good idea to keep track of what you eat too. My girl is 7 months old and she gets gas pains from what I eat before I do. It takes your body 8-10 hours to prosses your food but only 4 hours to turn it into breast milk. Be careful about dairy and peanuts at first (i love peanut butter). These are some of the most common allergens. Other than that you could make a 24 hour chart to keep track of wet or soiled diapers, unconcoulable crying, sleeping, feedings, and anything you give your baby. (gas drops, tylonol, etc.) I would sugjest using diferant colored pens and drawing a line through he times. Example, 12pm-2pm is a blue line for nap time with a 15 minute break where there is a green line for feeding. Also, keep track of small milestones while you are at it. Things like, discovering jumping, feeding self, drinking out of a glass, first giggle, sitting, crawling, even family outings. Good luck.
    brittneysmom31

Answer by brittneysmom31 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• LMAO. Boy you're going to be too busy writing logs to enjoy your baby..or sleep. The two most important things.
    Anonymous

• Nothing. At the hospital they asked me to keep track of feeds, but when I left nothing. Doc told me to feed her every 3 hours, but not to track any of it unless there's a possible problem.
    Anonymous

• My doctor never told me to. I do keep track for a few days before a doctors appointment for her formula because they always ask how much does she eat. Now she's on baby food as well, so I'll be keeping track and few days before her 9 month wellness check-up.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I didn't keep track of anything. I nursed and changed diapers all day, and my baby kept growing, so all was good.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2009