"If your brother was shot, would you wear a gun around your neck?"

This was a question posed to listeners in a Christian Sermon I heard once. The preacher was talking about why someone should NOT wear a cross. He was talking about how it DOES qualify as a "graven image" and that JC himself would not agree with this practice. He mentioned that if a loved on is killed, you would not see the weapon used to kill them as a good thing or something you would want to wear. And asked the croud why would it be different with the cross?

**Disclaimer: As many of you know, I'm not Christian. But I was answering another question and thought about this. So, I'm just looking for opinions - NOT a fight...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think if my brother was shot I probably WOULD wear a gun around my neck as protection! I know that's not what you are getting at here, though. I have no problem with "graven images". As a Pagan, I have representations of the God and Goddess on my altar. I don't pray TO them, I use them to focus and direct my intent. I know that Christians DO NOT believe this is right, so if they truly don't believe in graven images, they probably shouldn't be wearing a cross. On the other hand, if they just wear it as an identifying symbol to their fellow Christians, I suppose it's alright. I wear a pentacle on a chain around my neck, but I don't use it to "pray". (I've never seen a Christian "pray to" the cross around their neck.)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't really see crosses in that way, to me they aren't there to remind or symbolize how He died, but as a reminder of the sacrifice He made for us and how He lived. When a loved one dies I would say it's not uncommon for the people who cared about them to carry around a lock of their hair or a locket with their picture in it as a way to keep them close to their hearts and to keep their memory alive. I see a cross around the neck in the same way. We don't have actual images of Christ to put in a locket so we carry the cross in place of that.
    Anonymous

• I am no longer christian but when I was I wore one as a reminder of the sacrifice Jesus made. I see the preacher's point but I dont' entirely agree with it. Being christian I always thought it was the image of Jesus that was not allowed so I chose a plain cross. Kind of like wearing a locket with your dead bothers picture in it but opposite... does that make sense :)
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The cross does not technically qualify as a graven image. The Protestant cross does not represent God and is not prayed to or worshipped. It represents Salvation. Crucifixes, IMHO, are indeed idolitry because they depict Jesus, who I believe to be God, hanging on the cross. I'm not here to sing the praises of Protestants however, because although they do not depict Jesus or God, they will use a dove or a flame to represent the Holy Spirit. IMHO, this IS a graven image because the Holy Spirit is ALSO God. If the flame is meant to represent Pentecost or the dove meant to represent peace in depictions, then I'm more OK with that.

People do not wear crosses because the cross killed Jesus (as compared to the gun). If we wore what killed Jesus, we'd wear sin and malice and the names of all whom he died for around our necks. People wear crosses because it represents what saved us from ourselves.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• To add, it's not just about worshipping something. It is about feeling you can capture God or justly represent him in something you can make with your hands. Graven images do an infinite and eternal God no justice. Nothing in the heavens above or the earth below can justly identify God, so we shouldn't even try. A custom of the Jewish people is to abbreviate God's name as YWHW because our human language does him no justice.
    NovemberLove

• O.K. that is the weakest comparison ever. We build memorial statues of soldiers and they have guns.

The cross didn't kill Jesus. Jesus chose to die for our sin. He could have at any point called a legion of angels to remove Him from the cross. For that matter He could have mearly thought the thought and distroyed the world. He was and is God. For any preacher to fail to recognize that is a worse sin than wearing a cross could ever be.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• no it's probably too heavy in the first place and i often get neck pains. i let the lord judge and bring justice to any crime or sin committed agaisn't his children.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Growing up we didnt do the cross either because we focused on his resurrection not his death or what took his life.

I see them as someones symbol of spirituality so I leave it at that but I never saw a use for them growing up(and even today).

I sure as heck wouldnt be wearing a gun around my neck like in your example OP, thats silly to me.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Just to let you know, a cross was a symbol of protection long before Christianity. A cross doesn't have to be a religious symbol for Christians. Regardless what a preacher might say, if a cross makes you feel good and you feel empowered by a higher power to make the right choices for you, then wear it. You don't NEED a cross to be Christian but if it makes you feel more connected to your religion by wearing it don't let someone stop you. Like I said crosses were a symbol of protection long before Jesus was crusified, it doesn't have to be seen as that, it can be divine protection and a symbol of your faith.
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 2:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If you do your research you'll find that Christ died upon a stake and not a cross which the Church would have you believe. He died with both his arms over his head not on the side of him and with both of his feet crossed at the ankles. That is how things were done in Roman days; on a torture stake.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2009