If you had a tubal ligation, would you do it all over again?

I'm having a tubal done next month. I'm worried about the pain afterwards. How did you feel? Would you have done it again? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Health

• It's possible to have hormonal side effects afterwards too. If your doctor accidentally cuts veins during a tubal, the hormones in your body (estrogen/progesterone) or the loss or damage of receptor cells, decline really fast. And we all know what happens when a woman's hormonal level decreases that fast - menopausal symptoms. Look up PTLS for more info on it (Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome).
    Anonymous

• Well I had mine right after my c/s so it wasn't a separate procedure but as far as emotionally, it was absolutely the right decision for our family. I'm very happy with my decision. Also, don't know if this matters but I've never had an side effects. I know some women say they do, but I didn't experience any. It's been 4.5 yrs since mine.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The pain lasts just a few days but they'll give you some pain meds to take home with you. There are no other side effects other than bleeding or an infection where they inserted the needle and/or made an incision. I've never heard of anyone having any problems other than regretting it (because they wanted more kids). Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Almost 8 years for me and I had mine right after to vaginal birth of my son, I didnt have any pain or anything. They didnt have to use the gas to move my organs out the way like some doctors do, so it was pain free, of course I was sore but that was more from giving birth than having it done. My incision is a 1/2 inch inside my belly button, cant even see it.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'm adding these effects that PTLS can have on your:
    -Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes,
    clammy feeling, chills
    -irritability
    -mood swings/sudden crying
    -trouble sleeping through the night
    -chronic fatigue
    -anxiety and feeling ill at ease
    -dread, doom, apprehension
    -depression
    -mental confusion

The list goes on, and I don't mean to scare you but this has happened to some women, NOT the majority of women who have a tubal. And these are the hormonal-loss/imbalance side effects, not the direct side effects of a tubal.
    Anonymous