he is a jealous god?

how can people say that. ive heard tons of christians say...put no man above him...no image etc. becaue he is a jealous spiteful god. umm...a jealous spiteful god? doesnt that sound like a controlling a**hole when you describe anyone like that?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• First of all why do you feel the need to use insults and vulgarity about Christianity? I would report it but CM doesn't care.
    Second, would any answer given make any difference to you? I highly doubt it. So I'm not going to bother
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• yep, it does...don't forget about the fact that he created us to WORSHIP him, it sounds like an insecure being trying to control all and throwing a tantrum when we don't. Sorry but I don't care for the image "most" people portray of him. IMO its not good, it makes it look like people only follow to avoid the wrath.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• who said i was insulting christianity? i said a ton of christians have said this...not ALL CHRISTIANS SAY THIS.
    so dont put words in my mouth, ok?

i just do not understand this phrase..it makes him sound like a douche
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• yea thats the thing.......i think that some ppl really run with the idea of god being love....and others run with the other side of god being vengeful and mean and grrrrr.........and from what ive been taught about what god represents and is about..the 2nd road just seems completely assanine to me....

and im still waiting for you to tell how i insulted christians btw........i didnt realize asking for clarification on a sentence ive heard more than once was insulting. defensive much?
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• "it makes it look like people only follow to avoid the wrath. "
    if ppl do that then you do not respect him...you fear him...fear is not love....fear is what mob bosses do . i do not fear god or any deity at all, i respect
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Moki....lol! It DOES make him sound like a douche! And people say that god is above all, but STILL gets jealous if we admire a picture of Buddha? That sounds pretty lame & immature. I mean, I'm not a god & i could care less if my man checks out another HOT woman, i don't get jealous (I'd look too).

From all the studies i have done on religion, i heard this one theory that that bible scripture has been mis-interpreted, and it actually says that god is a ZEALOUS god, which has a totally different meaning & actually makes sense when you put it into context. So, i have thought long & hard about this too. I liked that theory though. I should find out where i read it, & post it on here when i have an extra min. to search.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Its in the Bible. I have always wondered this myself.
    Anonymous

• does the bible actually say jealous or zealous? anyone have the text off hand?
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• This is a good question, and I am going to post it to a Catholic forum I belong to. I will get back to with the answers.
    Anonymous

• A JEALOUS GOD

Do not worship any other god,
    for the Lord, whose name is Jealous,
    is a jealous God.
    Exodus 34:14

FROM THE FATHER'S HEART
    My child, do you crave unswerving devotion from your spouse? The thought of betrayal is enough to fire up every jealous nerve in your body and spirit. Of course I desire all of your attention, all of your time, and all of your self. I am a jealous God, but not because of a fear of being replaced, as you feel. I love you so much that I am not willing for anyone to steal your heart away. I gave My life for you because I want none to perish.

A GRATEFUL RESPONSE
    Your jealousy is not a flaw in Your character, Lord. Because You love me so much, You demand no less than my total de-votion. You tolerate no other loves. In my negligence, I often build idols of my own choosing. But how can my heart truly worship another but You, Lord? Only You satisfy.

SIMPLE TRUTH
    Anonymous