Have you ever been the victim of a scam or almost got scammed and your instinct saved you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• second, hubby was looking for a job through the classifieds. he came in for an interview & instead they immediately had him at an orientation about a perfume business. they supposedly made a big commission from their sales. i was skeptic again when he came home & told me he'd have to start by selling cheap perfume out in parking lots. google saved us again. it turns out it was another one of those pyramid schemes.

hubby would buy a can of worms if you propositioned him correctly.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• yep. almost but something was telling me something wasnt right they never talked to me on the ph i left my number lots of time they always wanted to email me but good thing i spoke about it..and a friend said it was a scam cause she was in the same predicament
    mymommasgirl

Answer by mymommasgirl at 1:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• A very well-spoken man called a couple years back selling something- I can't remember what- and I was actually tempted until he asked for my SS number. I said "I don't think so." And he said something about yes he could understand why I'd be reluctant, but that blah blah and so forth. So I said bye and hung up.

Answer by Bmat at 1:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• ughh.. twice. hubby is gullible but won't admit it.

the first time was when we were outside of the bank of america here in long beach, ca. some people claiming to work for an electronics company claimed to have an overshipment of home theater systems and they wanted to sell the extras. they said they might as well make the profit because their boss sells them on ebay anyway. they seemed very legit. had on a uniform with a logo patch & a catalog that showed how much it retailed for. $2500. i as skeptic, but hubby didn't want to pass up such a good deal. they were asking for anything & everything, cash/ipod/cell phones. hubby gave them $125. i warned him, but he didn't listen. i googled it when we got home, & sure enough it was a scam. they've been running notorious across southern cali for a while. only worth $150 tops. we got what we paid for.

continued--
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• it wasn't really a scam but a situation where i could have been taken advantage of. i was really drunk at a club a long time ago, in the VIP section with my friends and this guy kept trying to get me to drink some more, and I was sloshed already, and i refused and left. then later realized he was trying to slip me a drugged drink, man I was stupid! very happy to get out of that situation. its sad to say but if i wasn't already stupid drunk, i may have taken it! scary!!!

on the internet, i always search for info on things i am looking to buy before hand.
    navyma23

Answer by navyma23 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• oh i did that perfume crap too! so stupid. i ended up going once and found a REAL job at a motorcycle shop! lol, ended up meeting my husband that way!!
    navyma23

Answer by navyma23 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yeah. I had a guy contact me through an online ad about the bears I make, wanting my items to stock in his new store, and he was talking a serious amount of cash. But I tend to be really anal about my product, so I kept asking for details, and he kept dodging and stuff, which started setting off little internal alarms. Research led me to discover that USPS money orders could be counterfeited, and to tons on different 419 scams, and a board I joined suggested stringing him a long a little longer, and sure enough, almost immediately after we"sealed" the deal on his order, he had an "emergency" crop up with his boss in Nigeria, had to rush there from Canada, and would I receive a package for him, deposit some money and forward a check for part of it to X address. Hello and GOODbye, scammer.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2009