Do you think about the fact that a child dies from famine, preventable illness, or violence somewhere in the world every three seconds when you are throwing away perfectly good food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't honestly. It's sad, but what else can I do with the leftovers?
    Anonymous

• That's how my mother made me eat my vegetables!

Other than that, NO. I worry about my country, the USA FIRST and FOREMOST. I donate money, food, clothing, toys, skills and my time to charitable organizations. Everything donated to the destitute in other countries like Africa are just taken by their dictators--it never gets to the people in a way that actually makes a difference.

I cannot save the world, I can only help those right in front of me. If EVERYONE adopted that attitude around the world, maybe it would make a difference?
    Anonymous

• For ultimate irony - how about this incident: Spending millions on Mr. Jackson's memorial and having the effrontery to sing "We Are the World".
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Can't save the world.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I dont think about that, but I rarely waste food.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Human being are human beings no matter what country they are from. The fact is, we are fortunate to live in a country with the resources to feed it's citizens. Does it bother me that millions die of starvation in other parts of the world? Of course.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No I don't and I try and cook just what is needed because i hate throwing away food.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No, because there are staving kids here in our own country who's parents are having a difficult time putting food on their own tables night after night. I worry about those kids first and do my best to try to help them. Other than that I make sure when cooking for my family of 4 that I only cook what we're gonna eat and if they're left overs I bring them with me into the office the next day and eat them for lunch. Waste not want not.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I do I tell my kids that all the time. I also share what I have with others so we really do not throw a lot away.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My mother always said I had to eat everything on my plate because there were starving children in India. I always tried to tell her they were welcome to it, but she never sent it to them! It's too bad children are starving but in many cases even sending charity is not helpful. When you consider that about 85 cents of every dollar goes to pay the director and chairmen of the charity and the workers, advertising and other costs. Then when actual food is purchased and sent, the starving people are not the ones who receive it. It either sits on the dock and rots, or rebel armies get it.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009