if you were raised somewhere else..would you be their religion

whether you are christian, jewish, muslim...etc........if you grew up in tibet do yout hink you would be buddhist? ifyou grew up in the south would you be southern baptist?

do you think where you grew up and how you were raised dictated your religion......or do you really believe that no matter if you lived in africa or tibet or california you would be the same religion?

i think environment and experience really do dictate religion......unfortuntaely that is why everyone thinks their religion is correct. i dont think its bad necessarily...only bad if it makes you judge others

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dunno, thats a hard question to answer. Because of my personality I dont' think I would believe any different than I do now, but who knows
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• In the US we are exposed to many other cultures and religions so many people don't up with the same religion they grow up with. In other parts of the world everyone you know would have the same religion as you. Or you wouldn't associate with people of different faiths. We have a very unique culture in this country. I do think in many parts of the world the vast majority of people stay with the religion they are raised in.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• no cause i was born and raised in colima mexico and mexico is the country of catholics. which i am not. the mormon church has expanded to over 13 million members and it's not just limited to certain countries anymore. in fact mexico now has the most mormon members of all the countries.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't think it dictates religion but has a profound affect on what we are exposed to. For example in India you are much less likely to be exposed to Christianity, and more to Islam. In America we have both the freedom and opportunity to experience many religions, so it is much less a factor.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think the family I grew up in dictated what I was raised and believed.
    My family was the same religion going back to the 1860's when they converted.

If I was born outside the US, its highly likely Id have been something different but probably still christian of some sort. Or if I was born in Asia or whatnot perhaps Id have been Buddhist. Whatever my family was, thats what Id have been cuz thats what Id have been raised to believe,etc.

Just couldnt tell you for 100% certainty what Id have been like growing up elsewhere.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No. I grew up in Small Catholic Town Pennsylvania and I'm a proud Pagan. I don't think it would matter where I grew up...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It would depend. For example if I were born in Tibet I would probably be a Buddhist because Buddhism is so completely interwoven into their culture (less overtly now of course) and there have been so few foreigners that religion isn't often considered as something to choose in most of Tibet, & many other places in the world that haven't been plagued by missionaries. It is more something you do or don't do to varying degrees. However, if I had been raised in some other area in which religions were diverse I am sure I would be on the same path I am now. I can say with some certainty that had I been raised in the South, I would not be a Southern Baptist. I don't think where you live dictates your religion in all cases, but it does in some & heavily influences it in some places, while only having a small influence in others..

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think partly you are correct. My parents were very open minded & taught us about ALL religions. We went to every church & temple out there. Hinduism stuck w/ me, as it did my mother & father. although, my sister chose the path of Christianity on her own. My mother used to take her to church Sunday morning, then take me to the Hare Krishna temple Sunday night. Had my parents NOT been so open minded, i may not have found a path that suits me. So, i DO think environment can have a huge impact on your choice of religion. Environment is stronger than willpower, whether we want to believe that or not.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• melody77, interesting fact. Do you have a source for that fact? The information I have still ranks the US as the country with the most amount LDS with Mexico coming in a far away 2nd. The country with the highest percentage of LDS remains in Tonga, Samoa and American Samoa with the US coming in a distant 11 (at around 2%) and Mexico not even making the map. Religious demographics are always very interesting to me I would love to look over your source and learn a few new things.
    Anonymous

• My parents brought me up Catholic and took me to church.... but I broke away and followed my own path.

I think, no matter what happens or where you are, you'll find your way. I don't believe there's any ONE "right way"-- spirituality is a very personal and individual experience. No matter who you are, who your parents are, or where you live... you are on your OWN unique spiritual path
    Anonymous