Any remedies to stop or help shinsplints?

I have recently started walking a few miles a day, but get shinsplints that hurt terribly. Any ways to stop them or help relieve?

MizzNicole

Asked by MizzNicole at 1:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I think I'd break the walk into a mile two different times during the day, or just cut back to one mile for a while. I'd also try some hamstring curls (stand and bend the knee bringing the heel up behind, hold) after the walk. Perhaps put ice on your shins after your walk, for 15 or so minutes. Sometimes the shins get stressed when a lot of the walk is uphill.

Answer by Bmat at 1:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Check this out

http://walking.about.com/cs/medleg/ht/htshinsplints.htm
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'm a distance runner and I used to have problems with shin splints and leg cramps. My doctor advised me to make sure I'm getting enough calcium and magnesium, so every day I make sure to eat a banana and drink some milk. Does wonders for me.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:18 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Right walking shoes.
    Anonymous

• I agree with a couple of these answers. I use to be a runner too and my coach would always tell me to eat bananas for my shin splints. Also, its important to stretch your calf muscles real good and wear the proper shoes for support while exercising.
    jazzyjae

Answer by jazzyjae at 7:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I say look to your shoes. The right shoes makes all the difference. It also could be all in the way you are walking. I had never heard of such a thing until my podiatrist told me I overpronated when I walked which was the source of my constant troubles when I was exercising.
    Got the right shoes, life got better. : ) (And bananas too! Dh just walked in the door with another bunch for me! lol)
    Here is a simple test to find out what is your foot type. It's an older article, so just ignore the shoe suggestions since they are outdated but you will get the overall idea
    http://www.most-comfortable-shoes.com/foot_type.html
    Here's another article on walking gaits you might like to read:
    http://walking.about.com/od/shoechoice/a/wayyouwalk.htm
    I hope your shins get better soon!
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 9:25 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I also run. I agree with everything posted above. I would also like to add that you should look at the surface that you are walking on. If it is a cement path, walk on the ground next to it instead of the actual path. Cement is a killer on my shins.
    Anonymous