Breast feeding Tips

I am 6 weeks pregnant with my second child. When I was pregnant with my first child I tried to breast feed and obviously didn't know how. When I asked the nurse they did nothing to help. So now with my next child I really want to breast feed due to the benefits. I know it's early to think about this I just want to be prepared and educate myself. So can anyone give me tips or anything I would need to know. Thanks.

r0ugeinfern0

Asked by r0ugeinfern0 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check with your doctor to see if the hospital you are giving birth at or another one close by offers a breastfeeding class before you have the baby. I wasn't able to nurse my first for the same reason among others, so hubby and I took a class before our second was born and it made ALL the difference for me. There's a breastfeeding support group on here too and they have tons of helpful advice and resources. Good luck and congratulations!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I had a midwife. She was very knowledgable and helped me anytime. She is still available for me to call if I need to 24/7. Its all about how the baby latches on. It can be tricky at first cause their mouths are so small. I was told to pich my nipple to make sort of a baby burger and when baby opens looking for the nipple, thrust their face onto it. The more nipple in the mouth, the better the feeding. To break the seal if the latch was bad, poke your finger onto your areola next to baby's mouth and try again. I hurt while feeding for about a few weeks, but it goes away. You have to teach your child to latch correctly and it will be easier on the both of you. I would recomend a midwife to anyone.
    brittneysmom31

Answer by brittneysmom31 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Educate yourself as much as possible now about supply and demand, signs of low supply, how to know if baby is getting enough, etc. The breastfeeding moms group here has stickies with all of this information. Also, go to www.kellymom.com and www.askdrsears.com
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I highly recommend contacting your local La Leche League, and attending their monthly meetings. They are a wealth of knowledge.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• 1. Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group. We've got centuries worth of experience.

2. Pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. GREAT basic book!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My best advice would be...Keep going. Even when your nipples starts to hurt, (it will go away) and even if you don't think you have enough milk (you will have enough milk)...keep going. And follow your instincts.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2009