What is stripping my membrains?

I had a doctors appointment last friday. Today im 39 weeks pregnant. I have another appointment this friday and my doctor is going to check and see if im dialated. She told me if im not she is going to strip my membrains.(dont know how to spell it lol) Does that hurt and what is the point?

missylove916

Asked by missylove916 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Stripping the amniotic mebrane away from the cervix to bring on labor. I personaly am against this. You are only 39 weeks you not 40 weeks Are you in any pain? If not there is no need to do this. They do this when you go in and they do an internal exam. First of all there is no need for internal exams unless you are in labor. Why some Dr. just can't leave well enough alone I dont' know when the baby is ready they baby will start labor. There is no need to rush it.
    dreamercat1

Answer by dreamercat1 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It's a pointless procedure. It's painful while they're doing it... and it makes the labor pains A LOT more painful than they would have been if you'd just let labor begin naturally.

I know you're tired of being pregnant.... but trust me.... the pain is NOT worth it.
    Anonymous