What are the chances of twins if...

My mom was carrying twins but she miscarried one. Now I have one little sister. My Dh does have twin little sisters, AND twin little brothers! Im only carrying one baby, but I was wondering what are the odds of our children to come being twins? Im a little worried because DH and I are both the oldest of our family and the second kids of both families were twins.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i don't know.. pretty good chances.. I don't have any twins in my family and my bf has distant cousins that are twins but thats it and both times I got pregnant it was with twins.. i had one set and my second set were born way too premature to survive.. twins are complicated but fun! so good luck..
    MoMMy2TwiNs07

Answer by MoMMy2TwiNs07 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If the twins your mom conceived were fraternal (not identical) your chances are higher than most, but I don't know the exact probability. If they were identical, then your chances are the same as anyone else because identicals are not due to genetics. The twins on your husband's side will not increase your chances at all because his genes cannot make you drop two eggs. Try not to worry too much - twins are terrific!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Fraternal twins tend to run on the mother's side...genetic. (I've also heard it tends to run every other generation)

Identical twins are...well....an "accident" of nature for lack of a better word. It just happens. The egg splits and it has nothing to do with either side of the family.
    Anonymous

• If you have twins running in your family, your chances are pretty good, especially if you continue to have children when you're older. That's for fraternal twins. My parents didn't have any twins, but my Dad's mother was a twin, so he could have passed that gene on to me and I could have twins. Just wait and see I guess. Identical twins just happen. From all I've read there doesn't appear to be any clue as to why they occur. Just does.

So, you definitely could have twins eventually. Good luck with your current pregnancy though!!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Twins run deep on BOTH sides of my family and I have yet to have twins LoL I have two children and when I was prego with them, my mom and dad would always say, watch its going to be twins, but I was lucky LoL My sister on the other hand, had twins. I am not sure of the possibility of having twins tho
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 2:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Twins are heavy in my family too. I miscarried one set, and my youngest was a twin (lost her sibling at around 5 weeks).
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009