What's a good immune supplement?

I want to start giving my 2 year old an immune supplement. There are a couple on www.vitacost.com I'm looking at. He gets plenty of Vit. A, C, D and zinc. I'm thinking of something herbal, known to boost the immune system, like echinacea. Are there any particular brands you've used that you'd recommend? Any you'd recommend against?
(I know about probiotics, and am still on a search for some he can tolerate. They all have either milk and/or soy in them, so its tough. For now, he eats coconut yogurt.)

mom2ljh

Asked by mom2ljh at 2:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What does your pediatrician suggest?
    Anonymous

• Just be aware that if you add too many vitamins, you will actually supress his immune system. Vitamin C is a good example - tons of people load up on it thinking they are being super healthy. But research has proven time and again that anything too far over the daily recommendation actually lowers resistance to illness.

If he is eating a decent diet, he does not need and will not benefit from vitamins. If he isn't eating a decent diet, that's a different story. In that case, a small amount of a multi-vitamin will help while you slowly work on getting him to eat better.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• He eats fine and I'm not interested in giving him a multi-vitamin, or loading him up with anything. The child would live on a diet of fresh fruit alone, if I'd let him. (I do have him eat veggies, poultry, whole grains, etc.) He's sick all the time though, literally 2-3 times a month. Its not from his diet, and its not from being around a ton of ppl, b/c he's not. He's just...sick, and I want to do something to help him. I just was wondering if anyone had tried any of the kid's herbal immune supplements and had good results.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 2:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009