Anybody had this problem when breastfeeding?

My daughter is 4 months old & she's constantly coming off my boob at every little sound, if she sees someone, or sometimes for no reason at all. It so frustrating cause it takes forever to feed her. I have two boys also that I breastfed & they didn't wanna come off the boob. She's just gotten her first teeth, & she just seems less interested in eating. Anybody know how often they should be breastfeeding at 4 months? Any suggestions would be nice or maybe if you've gone through this. Thanks.

luvmyangels3

Asked by luvmyangels3 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• All three of my boys did that. I would just try to feed her in a quiet place and if she pops off more than a few times I would put the food away and try again later when she is less distracted.
    I always nursed on demand, up until they weaned at 12-15 months. So sometimes they needed more and sometimes they needed less, I didn't really count or monitor the times a day.
    Good luck.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• my daugters were like that. i wish i could offer some help, but they were just too curious & i didn't know how to keep from her un-latching. i just had to be a little extra patient. her curiousity was very time consuming during her nursing time, so i'd try to go into a quiet room where no one was allowed to go while she nursed.. it didn't wok because she'd tun her head for the door if she heard the pitter-patter or her older sister's feet.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• ** turn. my keys are sticky. =P

like the pp, i also nursed on demand & never kept track of how often they would nurse at that age. all i know is that when they were that age, i felt like my chest was exposed 24/7.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Your baby has entered the distractible phase. Try finding a dark, quiet place to nurse if possible. You could also try giving your baby a toy to play with to keep her attention. I do that with my baby to keep him from grabbing and pinching too. Check out this article with tips on dealing with a distractible baby. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/distractible-baby.html
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I forgot about your other question... If you are nursing on demand and are changing plenty of diapers, she is getting enough.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Congratulations she has what I called "nosey rosey disease" lol... my 21 month old son was like that last summer. The min. his brothers were home all day, he'd want to nuse, but then wanted to see what was going on... it was awful. He would end up wanting to eat all night to make up for trying to keep up with 3 big brothers all day... we ended up supplementing formula (4oz a day) for the summer b/c his growth dropped off as a result. If your older ones are at an age where you can do it.. try to park them in front of a movie (once a day, will not kill them) and take the little one off somewhere quiet.... good luck!
    Mom2jngnc

Answer by Mom2jngnc at 3:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Normal normal normal!

They should be nursing as often as they want, making sure that if you've introduced solids the solids FOLLOW nurding.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I only feed my 5 month old in the bedroom now, because she is too busy looking at the fan, her sister, the tv, you name it. I just decided to go somewhere quiet, and she does much better in there.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009