Those with 2 or more...

Do you have a hard time relating to those with just one? Their workload is SO MUCH LESS and they are not dealing with fighting and sharing and different food likes and dislikes, bath time, one on one time, double/triple the toys, someone always needing you, etc. etc. etc. I mean, its apples and oranges right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• One was sooooo easy !!!! Two was ok because they were 7 years apart but 3 was/is very hard. My youngest 2 are 22 months apart, and they keep me on my toes even tho they are almost 10 and 8 lol.. Thank God they are at grandparents house this week...Gives me a much needed break, plus I am a fulltime nursing student.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My oldest daughter is almost 18 months and my second daughter is just 6 weeks. So i understand the someone always needing you and omg the diapers.. And the extra work and the extra laundry and trying to find time to even just sit down and eat food!! Ugh. Yes i have a hard time sometimes relating. Because of this. But then again 6 weeks ago i still only had one child lol
    SMarsolf

Answer by SMarsolf at 2:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I personally don't find myself comparing ones workload to anothers workload. Granted, those who have just ONE has LESS to deal with but honestly, I would rather deal with my TWO kiddos as they are both different as night and day! Another reason is because my kids know how to SHARE as those with just ONE child, doesnt know how to share as they are the only child. I have several friends that have just ONE child and when they bring their kid over to play with mine, they always say that mine act better because they know how to share and how to deal with others around. LoL

SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 2:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Having two makes having one seem like none.... I love that quote, forget where I heard it, but its so true.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• As someone with #3 on the way I would say it is apples and oranges but the person with just one may not agree. I do know last night my mom just took my youngest for a couple of hours. The house was so quiet. My oldest is so laid back and does his own thing. As soon as his brother got home it was chaos. I thought I was going insane after all that quietness! lol But if it is the other way around, if my mom takes my older one and I just have the younger, it really makes no difference when my oldest gets home. So it really depends on the child. By the way, my boys are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2.
    Anonymous

• OP here, I'm not comparing workloads, its just that I have a friend that has one and she tends to be a bit holier than thou with how tight of a ship she runs, and she just has NO IDEA.
    Anonymous

• I think a lot depends on the ages and personalities of the children as well as the personality and experience of the mother. I think it's hard to relate to other moms who have it significantly harder, easier, better, or worse than I do, or moms who seem to handle things much better or worse than I do. I think it's easiest to relate to moms who are in the same, or at least a fairly equivalent, boat.

My older one was more than a handful when she was a toddler, and she ran me ragged. At the time I wondered how anyone could handle more than one child, and I had a hard time relating to perfect moms with easy children. Now I have twin toddlers, and the two of them are easier than my older one was all by herself. I think now I can relate better to more moms because my experience is more varried.

As for your friend, I think it's easier to think you know it all when you have only one child, and that one is an easy one!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• There are some things that are a lot different about having more than one, but a lot of things that are the same about being a mom no matter what your family size. I have 4 and my closest mama friend has 1. We still have a lot in common.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I've got 3 1/2 (dss is only here part time, but was with us full time for 3 years) Right now they are 12, 7, 6, 3, and for 7 years I have had to constantly buy and change diapers (whew, 3 yr. old just potty traind and WE ARE DONE!!!) And yes, sometimes I think back to when it was just me and dss, and think how good I had it. Though at that time, I didn't think it was that great. Now, well, let's just say, it's all the same, you get used to it, the clutter, the whining, the crying, the begging, and learn to handle each situation as it is needed. Alot of things I have eased up on that used to get so uptight about with just one. Like cleaning the room, he never went to bed with toys on the floor, and every dish was clean, laundry was always done etc. Now, I feel good if I managed to get them all to brush their teeth and tucked in without losing my mind.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• That is funny Petie, I am the opposite. I have gotten a lot more strict than when I just had one kid. There were things I could tolerate one child doing that I can't tolerate 4 kids doing. We have a lot more emphasis on rules and consequences instead of dealing with each situation as it arises.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2009