I Let My 2 Year Old Hit Me. Is that bad?

I've tried everything to get her to stop. Now I just sit there and take it until she gives up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• You must nip it in the bud NOW!!!! It will get worse.
    JULIAN01

Answer by JULIAN01 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Ugh i hate that age. Its hard! What i had to do was every time mine hit me i would yell at her and tell her hitting isn't nice. And when she would hit me again i put her in her crib or room for a 2 minute time out. It took awhile but she doesn't do it anymore. I praise her for being nice when she is nice.
    Anonymous

• Seriously is that bad?? What do you think??!! She is going to be out of control when she is older if she isn't already.
    Anonymous

• You're setting a very bad start to your parenting career by giving in to her.

Is it bad? Ya THINK?
    Anonymous

• This might be a controversial response, but have you tried hitting her back? Not hard, but just enough to get the idea. When she cries, ask her if it hurt, then explain that's how it feels when you hit people. Maybe she just needs a demonstration.
    Anonymous

• yes that is very bad!! You should never let your child hit you...you are teaching that it is ok to disrepect you!! What all have you tried when you say you've tried everything?? You need to let her know that YOU are in control and NOT her :) You need to have one discipline and stick to it EVERY TIME she hits you or anyone else and praise her when she is nice!! :)
    livin4jc

Answer by livin4jc at 2:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If you can't stop her now, how will you stop her when she is 16? You don't want to end up on some day time TV talk show with an out of control teenager do you?

You are tougher than her, you have more resolve, and you are smarter. You can do this!! If she does it then send her to her room or put her on the naughty chair or what ever works and STICK TO IT.

It will be hard but you CAN DO IT! Both of your lives will be happier when you have mastered discipline in your household. Kids want and need boundaries, they need to know what is expected of them. If you don't think you can do it on your own then talk to a profession, your doctor, or another mother (that you trust) who has disciplined children. There is nothing wrong with seeking help.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 3:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• HA you 2 year old only hits you? My 2 year old bites, and scratches me lol. BUT he gets a pop on the hand for it.
    Anonymous

• I think this is setting a very bad precedent. I would put her in time out for hitting.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You already knew the answer when you wrote this. Of course it is bad. Just walk away from her. Tell her, "I will not let you hurt me" and walk away. When she comes to you ask her, "are you ready to be nice", if so, then cuddle, if not, walk away again.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2009