Stranger Danger for Toddlers

I know I should be teaching my 2yr old son about stranger danger. But Im so at a loss for words when I try to explain it in toddler terms. I dont want to tell him all strangers are bad bc there are still good people in the world. However they are def. out weighted by the bad! Help Plz!

Sweetiemama717

Asked by Sweetiemama717 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tell him that there are some people that aren't very nice and if a stranger comes around to come get you. That's about all I can think of to tell a 2 year old. Then maybe you can practice by having someone dress up like a stranger and having him come and get you. =) Good for you for starting to teach him this early on!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The coolest thing i saw a mother do, at the zoo one day, an aquiantenc offered her son some snack mix. He wouldn't take it. She explained to the woman that she teaches her kids NEVER to take ANYTHING from anyone but her and her husband without asking her and her husband if its okay. Now this boy was only 3, so i thought that was neat. I asked her about it, she said as her kids get older, she explains its okay for them to take things, like in school from a teacher, and so on, but for now she doesn't have to worry about her boys taking anything. It was neat. Wish i did that with my son.

At 2, you can just use simple terms with your son, like, "we don't know him, he's a stranger to us". Then your just stating a fact. I started telling my son at 2 also "we don't talk to people we don't know", as he got older i was able to explain that some strangers are nice, some are not, which is why we are careful.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I like citymama's example - teach your son what a stranger is... someone we don't know. Then teach him to always ask before taking something from a stranger or before going anywhere with a stranger. Praise him when he does ask.

Never teach a child to not talk to strangers though. That's a dangerous blanket statement. If he were lost in the store, what would he do? Hide from all the scary strangers? It has happened many times. Role play as he gets older. Once he's free to walk in the store, give him a whistle. Teach him what to do if he turns around and you aren't there... sit down, blow your whistle, and wait for mommy to come to you. Teach him what types of people to ask for help - mommy's with kids is an easy one. Role play him asking if he can help the man find his lost dog. Role play him asking if it's ok to go to Mr. Smith's house to see his new video game. Lectures and talks don't work. Role-playing does.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009