Feeding a toddler popcorn can cause pneumonia. DH says its okay.

Do you let your toddlers eat popcorn?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We did, but we broke off the big soft part and let them have that.

Answer by Bmat at 2:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yes, I have neber heard it can cause pneumonia.
    Anonymous

• sorry never*
    Anonymous

• Who told you that?
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Hmm..never heard that b4! My toddlers been stuffn his face w/popcorn for the past two days..god forbid.
    roxxxy

Answer by roxxxy at 2:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I googled before replying. Several sites say that it is because they can inhale the little bits, hulls, and kernals, which could lead to pneumonia. I'd never heard it either, and we never had the problem, but as I said, we only let them eat the big fluffy part anyway.

Answer by Bmat at 2:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• just got this off internet.........

One of America's favorite snack foods - popcorn - is at the center of a national health controversy. The chemical diacetyl, used to make artificial butter flavoring, has been linked to a respiratory disease called "popcorn lung" in hundreds of people
    ---------------------------------
    does this mean that only the popcorn with this additive may cause problems?
    if you pop the kernels yourself and add no "butter" flavor---------Are you ok then??
    --------
    this worres me, daughter (2) loves it and i asked ped nurseif daughter could have popcorn at last appt, i was told NOTHING, i was thinking of choking hazzard not some chemical
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I pop my own popcorn with an air popper. I also don't add any artificial flavors to it. We melt our butter and toss or just do salt. No popcorn lung here. THe kids only eat the fluffy white part anyway.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 2:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'm pretty sure the "hundreds" of people with popcorn lung were probably factory workers who were breathing in unhealthy amounts of the chemical. I wouldn't let my kid stick his face in the bag fresh outta the microwave and inhale, but he eats it. I really doubt there's a real risk here. But as a side note, the artificial everything that's put into microwave popcorn is unhealthy other respects and air-popped and home seasoned is definitely better from a health standpoint.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 3:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I have heard it all now!!!!!!!!!!!! It is something every year. Must be popcorn's year!
    RiverPhenix

Answer by RiverPhenix at 3:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009