No later than 1 week past your due date

I went to the doctors today. I am 39 weeks 4 days. I am due this Friday. I was talking with my doctor and I am not progressed at all. I'm still high and thick as he explains it. Which is normal for a first time pregnancy. He then told me he will let me go another week to see if my baby decides he want to come. If not on my next appointment (which is Monday the 27th) we will have to schedual an induction. I had asked I thought it was they wouldn't let you go past 2 weeks late. He then explained that they changed it and they wont let you go past 1 week. I was shocked! It seems now a days more and more women are being induced. Did any else know this?

Ames826

Asked by Ames826 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The risks are greater if the baby goes past 2 weeks, I dont mind so much the doctor wanting to start labor if the mom is two weeks over due but I dont like to hear it before 40, unless it is a risk to mom or baby to wait. Give yourself some time and dont worry to much. You dont have to do anything you dont want to, and research what your doctor wants to do before hand so you are prepared. Good luck to you and enjoy the new baby..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Wow, I didn't know that. I would check with the hospital though. Sometimes the hospital is who imposes the rule, not the Doctor... sometimes it's the other way around. Maybe your doctor has a family trip the next week. ha ha!!

Seriously though, what have you tried at home to get things going? It can't hurt at this point (figuratively of course. Some of the things will actually hurt a little, but it's worth the momentary pain to get things going on their own.) You'll recover better if you get labor going without drugs. You could ask your Doc to strip your membranes, but I think you have to have progress of some kind for them to do that. Are they super solid on your Due date? maybe you're really a week behind what you thought? I don't know. Good luck.!!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• When i had my first just 18 months ago it was you can't go past two weeks and i lived in Oregon. When i was living in California and pregnant with my second it was you can't go past 1 week over due. And she is 6 weeks old. I think it has to do with where you live.. ? Anyways WALK ALOT! With my second baby i was the same you are now. But at 40 weeks i was completely closed and still thick. I walked my butt off that week and when i went in the next week to be induced i was at 3cm. If you are not dialated much by the time you go in to be induced the labor is going to suck. They won't give you an epidural (if your doing it) until your 4cm and it took me 12 hours to get that way. 12 hours of horrible contractions!! Ugh. Seriously walk alot. Even if it is uncomfortable. Thats what i did. Walk walk walk.
    Anonymous

• I did check with the Hospital. They agreed, they dont' go past a week late. I had to get get a non stress test done today after I left my appointment. Everything looks fine. Baby is great.
    Ames826

Answer by Ames826 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Bull...you can refuse anything. That date can be off by 2 weeks either way. As long as baby is fine I wouldn't consent to it. We don't all fit into that little mold they try to force us in.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My doc wanted 1 week I wanted 2 weeks and he compromised at 10 days as long as the baby was showing no signs of problems. My son was born 23 hrs 58 min, before I was supposed to be induced! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 3:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Agreed that you can refuse to be induced. I went past 41 weeks with my oldest. It is pretty common to go over with your oldest. Look into the different tests they can do to make sure the placenta is still functioning. Your doctor can not force you to be induced.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yes, please, please, PLEASE make an informed decision before you get induced. Induction gives you a much higher chance of all other interventions - including C-Section. not to mention the pain of pitocin-induced contractions are much, much worse than natural contractions. Make your decision based on more than just what one doctor says - or what one hospital's procedure is. Most likely the doctor goes by an ultrasounds' ESTIMATE of how far along you are - which not everyone fits in to. Do your research. Don't get me wrong, I'm not always against induction, when it's absolutely needed. But nowadays doctors will do it at the drop of a pin, for their own convenience.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• They don't want you to go more than a week over but it is still your body. You can not be forced to an induction. Normal human gestation is 38-42 weeks not 40 or 41. I personally would never agree to an induction just because you are 1 week past your due date.
    Due dates are estimations to begin with, unless you know your exact conception date its just a gues that can be off.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• last time i heard, they won't let you go past 42wks. sounds like he just wants to hurry and have this baby out. you can say no to the induction and wait til baby is ready.
    the average time for first time mom's to go into labor on their on is 41wks 3d. so, many do go after that too.
    EDD can be off by as much as 2 wks. so, if i was you, i would wait.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 5:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2009