Is it possible to over feed a breast feed baby??

I have been ebfing Isabella since she was born but all of a sudden she is spitting up a lot after she eats. My son was bottle fed so Im pretty unfamiliar w/breastfeeding. I didn't think breastfed babies spit up. So is she just over eating or should I be concerned and call the pedi??

JacobsMummie

Asked by JacobsMummie at 2:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can talk to the Doctor, it might be GERD. Yes breastfed babies do spit up, I dont think its over feeding, because you cant really force her to suck if she dosnt want too, you might try to burp her in between breasts and see if that helps. If could also be somrthing you are eating that doesnt agree with her. While I was BFing my son I could not eat or drink anything with milk, he spit up alot if I did.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yes it actually could be over-feeding and sounds like that is what this is. My step-daughter had this problem with her daughter. She just had to shorten her feeding times so that she didn't get so full. What would happen is that when the baby would get too much she would basically spit up the excess.

My daughter was breastfed and she rarely spit up, so breast fed babies can spit up even without over-eating, they just don't do it as much as as formula fed babies.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Oh yes breastfed babies spit up. I have known some that would projectile. It really isn't possible to overfeed a breastfed baby. When they are done eating if they want to continue to suck they will cover the nipple with their tongue to stop the milk flow. Let baby eat on demand. As long as baby is gaining, and having at least 6 wets a day it is nothing but a laundry problem. Good luck mama.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't think it is possible to over fed a bf baby either.
    I agree with the one Mom about GERD. My Alex used to eat, burp then spit up and want to go right back onto nurse. I would try to hold him off thinking he had to be "over full." After 10 min or so of fussing I would give in and nurse him again (he was #4). I read an article online (something I hardly ever do) that had mentioned reflux making the "burn" feeling, and that babies would often want to eat again as the milk would coat the throat and make it feel better.
    Well, over a year later... and my son is seeing GI on Friday. After several resp. infections tests were done in May and they think he's had relfux all this time. When I brought it up to my ped. at his 6 m. WC (he's now 21 m)... she had told me that it is quite common, and that they prefer to only med. the kids that are having trouble thriving, but it would be written in as a concern
    Mom2jngnc

Answer by Mom2jngnc at 3:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It's not possible to overfeed a breastfed baby. But they DO spit up.

What might be happening is overactive letdown...your flow is so fast she takes in a lot of air. There's an article on kellymom.com with info and pictures for positions that alleviate OAL.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You can NOT over feed a breastfed baby that is strictly nursed on demand. Both of my breastfed boys spit up occaisionally. It is normal and will slow down eventually. As gdiamante said, it could be overactive letdown. Here is the article G mentioned. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:28 PM on Jul. 22, 2009