Sunblock bad for your health. Do you believe it? Yes I said SUNBLOCK

I've just found out that I'm vitamin deficient. My doctor ask me if I use sunblock I replied confident "I use the stronger sunblock that I could find in the market". My doctor laughed and said that was the problem. She said our bodies need vitamins and when it comes to the sun that the sun provides us with one (don't remember which vitamin).

Anyhow I didn't know that we putting sunblock are also blocking the vitamins the sun provide us with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Health

• Yes...I was recently diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency. A normal level is between 30 and 100, mine came back at 11. So now I'm on a prescription strength Vitamin D..50,000IU once a week for a month then 1000-2000IU a day. I recently took a look at my kids multivitamin and it was low on Vitamin D so I switched. My dd's insomnia has cleared up. I don't wear sunscreen but my kids do and they are lactose intolerant so I wouldn't be suprised if they were low.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Vitamin D. I have heard this. You can get Vitamin D from fortified milk and from some vitamins that have it. I just can't see exposing my skin to the sun and risking skin cancer. My mother has an appointment in a couple weeks to have surgery done on her face for a skin cancer that is involved with her facial nerves.

Answer by Bmat at 2:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It's Vitamin D. And yes, I knew that sunblock had this effect. You can't absorb important minerals, like calcium, without vitamin D. Pretty important stuff, and all it takes is 30 mins of unprotected sunshine per day. I never use sunblock because, believe it or not, I'm allergic. So, I stay in the shade and wear light fabrics with long sleeves. I also wear hats, sometimes. You can even go out when it's overcast, then you don't have as much risk of burning, but you still get your vitamins.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• OH! Vitamin D thanks gals OP
    Anonymous

• You can take a vitamin or get plenty of dairy which is loaded with vitamin D and still wear sunblock.

I don't really wear sunblock because I stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yup, take a multi vitamin.
    Anonymous

• Yes, D. My doctor told me 15 minutes a day in direct sun is good for getting vit.D, then apply sunscreen. But no hats, as your head actually absorbs a lot of it (unless you're laying down i guess). My doctor did emphasize 15 minutes (is all that is needed), but it has to be direct sun.

I don't put on sunscreen when i walk my son to/from school, there's my 15. But then i apply before playing outside with my little ones.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2009