Do home-delivery moms keep their regular check up visits with the Obstetrician?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• With my first home-birth, I continued to see my OB until I was about 8 months along. But that was because I decided late in my pregnancy to switch to a home-birth. This time, with my second, I just use the CPM (or CNM) that will deliver the baby. She does everything an OB does for prenatal care - urinanlysis, hemoglobin checks, prenatal screening, etc. She can even order ultrasounds. As long as I don't have a problem, I won't need to see an OB at all this time.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Most use a midwife.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'm not up to the date with this procedure. Do moms go to a regular Obstetrician and use the midwife for the delivery? OP
    Anonymous

• In my state, Yes...Guidelines are th mom and baby must be happy, healthy and NOT high risk. The mom can get a mid-wife but the Dr must sign off at 38 weeks before the mid-wife can take over, or the mom can go to a center that allows for home birth but sees the mid-wife the whole time. It just depends on the states regulations.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• midnightmoma and colleen thanks! OP
    Anonymous

• Most homebirth mamas just use a midwife. Some hospital birth mamas use a midwife instead of an OB, too. I am planning a homebirth in November and I am getting all my prenatal care through my midwife. My last two were hospital births but I had all my prenatal care with midwives for them too except for one consultation with an OB with my daughter. I have met once with the back up OB for my homebirth midwife because if I did have a hospital transfer I would hate to have a stranger delivering my baby so I at least wanted to meet him once.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Most use a midwife and some a family doctor. Here low risk women dont go to OB's ever and 30% of the babies are born at home.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2009