working for a family member

ok ..My Sister recently opened a Restaurant, with help from our mom.
When I started working there I was promised to have a job for life. ok
I started in the dishroom making about $250 a week . was all good. ok
then she got behind on bills. said I could work on my own time waitressing.
was still ok with it cause it is my sis. and it would only be a couple days a week and the other days I would be getting paid to do dishes. shortly after I now waitress for free surviving on tips. not to mention putting up with her when she is there {which is hardly ever }whole nother story} so my question is should i tell her to shove her job you know where, or keep workin until i find something else? keep in mind she is my sis. but can't afford to work for free. o i forgot to mention breathing bleach the first 3wks before it opened cleaning for free .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• I don't see the problem at all. If your sister can STOP/NOT pay you with a clear concience, why is it hard for you to tell her your working without pay sucks. Don't feel bad if she doesn't. She may be your sister but she is acting like you boss right now. And I would tell her to TAKE THIS JOB AND STICK IT.....

But in a nice way, there still are family gatherings you have to show up to.
    SMILE
    Anonymous

• It is very hard to get a restaurant up and running. If at all possible your sister needs you to do whatever you can to help her...with that being said, you can't let yourself starve for someone else. If you can't afford to work for free then you do need to go ahead and find another job, your sister should understand that. Maybe you could offer to volunteer a couple days a week, or even one...whatever you can do.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Since this is your only source of income, I would look for another job while continuing to work there. Then give her proper notice before leaving. You don't want to start a lot of family drama over this that will affect the rest of your life. Keep in mind that in most cases, family working for family doesn't work out. But if you ever needed to work for her again, you don't want to burn any bridges right now. You also could try having a civil conversation with her when she isn't stressed out and can listen and respond calmly. But I would go ahead and look for another job, just because.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• When you find another position, give two weeks notice, thank you sister for the opportunity to help her get started, and move on.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Patience654

Answer by Patience654 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• THANK YOU ALL FOR YOU COMMENTS.. I AM NOT THE ONLY INCOME IN MY HOUSE , SO I WOULD NOT STAVE BY ANY MEANS BUT AN EXTRA 70-100 A WK IS ALSO NOT BAD.. IT IS FUN AT TIMES BUT AT OTHER TIMES I WONDER WHY I WAIST MY TIME ?
    THANK YOU ALL AGAIN
    Anonymous

• I WAS FIRED OVER DRAMA... SHE SAID, I SAID SOMETHING THAT I DIDN'T ..
    DIDN'T BELIEVE ME THAT I DIDN'T ... SO I WAS FIRED....
    WAIT.......YOU CAN'T FIRE ME IF YOU DIDN'T PAY ME..
    BASICLY SHE SAID ," YOU CAN'T VOLENTEER ANYMORE.."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2009