Will she ever grab/hold a toy?

This question may sound silly but I'm a first time mom so I'm still not so sure on some things. My DD is 3 months (4 months Aug. 2) and she's interested in toys like a rattle or a small round ball that makes noise. About how old was your baby when he/she was able to grab and play with a toy on his/her own? I've been trying to place the toys that are small enough for her to hold in her hand to try to encourage her but it never last too long. Lol. Am I being an over-achiever in wanting her to learn how to play on her own? How will she "know" to hold the toy and shake it? I don't want her to grow up to fast or anything...but I can't hold a toy all day for her. (Even though I would love to). Lol.

melissa0425

Asked by melissa0425 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter was content to watch the toys on the floor or me playing with them for her until she was about 5 months old. Each baby is different.. maybe yours just likes watching you!! Talk about backwards lol.. my daughter held her own bottle at 2 1/2 months but had NO interest in grabbing toys till 4 1/2 -5 months
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't remember how old my daughters were when they first held a toy. But YES she will do it on her own....don't worry!!
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 3:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think about 4 months. Dont worry, she'll do it on her own time.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Get the rattles that velcro to her wrist or the ones that are footsy ones. As far as her holding things, in general baby's will hold their own bottle at 5 months. She's showing interest now, that's a good sign :o)
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My twins were just getting it down at their first Christmas when they were about 4 1/2 months. They probably started doing it between 3 1/2 and 4 months, but it wasn't until 4 1/2 months that they did it on a regular basis. The first things they held well were those little plastic links, so I put them everywhere - carseats, stroller, swing, etc.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009