How much did you pay for your purebred dog?

I am just curious. My inlaws paid around $1000 for their Mastiff. My husband is looking into getting a German Shepherd Dog and it also is $1000. I can honestly say I never thought I would pay that much for a dog but it's got a great pedigree and comes from a very good breeder.

sherwins.girl

Asked by sherwins.girl at 3:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pets

• With ours it was about 1200.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 3:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• One of ours was free because she was born deaf. We knew she was deaf before we got her. The other one was $300 and that was probably less than half what we should have paid for a dog of her breed. That's because we got her off the internet before we knew better. Had we gotten her from an actual reputable breeder we'd have probably paid between $600-$900. There is one Whippet breeder that I would like to have one of her dogs one day and I'll pay for it, but otherwise, I think we'll probably go the Whippet rescue route. Which we'll pay then, too, but much less.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• We got my Dad a gorgeous golden retriever a few years ago. He was about $400 if I remember correctly. He was beautiful. He was a deep gold and was a very large g.r. He had a great temperament.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My sister paid close to $2000 for her purebred English Bulldog. I got my boxer/pit mix for free and he's the sweetest, most well-trained dog I've ever had. If you've got that kind of money to spend on an animal, go for it. But don't forget vet costs, spaying/neutering, training classes, toys, bedding, and food costs for the animal's entire life. Also, if you're going to spend that much on a dog, you want to get the most out of him, so you'll probably get the better food (I feed my dog California Natural, made by Innova, which is the best food on the market in my opinion...no fillers, no corn, no by-products).
    Anyway, I think $1000 is too much to spend for a dog, especially when you can go to a shelter and get an amazing dog who really needs a home for a small adoption fee.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• We paid $400 for our rat terrier and will pay another $400 for another one. All of our other animals are rescues though including our first dog. She's 11 and has been totally healthy and aside from the occasional stiffness she's doing great. My dh really wants another rat terrier though .
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I paid $350 for our corgi. He was the last of the litter, the breeder sold 4 others for $850 each and kept one she is showing now. She wanted to concentrate on training him for the show ring without distractions so we were lucky.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I paid $600 for my female dachshund, and $400 for my male.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• free through the local animal shelter
    Anonymous

• $850 For my male several yrs ago, and the same for our female but she was in payments lol since it was from a friend
    Anonymous

• my sil sells her german shepards for like 400-500. i paid only 170 for my standard poodle as a puppy which they normally go for 1200-1600 or more. i also just paid for my shih tzu she was $350. i suspect they are looking at akc dogs and most of the time the papers are limited so it doesn't mean much to you as a new owner cause you can't breed them. my poodle was akc and that is how i found out that the papers to me were not worth it. my max for a dog would be the $350. even that was hard to cough up but we intended to breed her once or twice.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2009