My 11 month old is VERY private about pooping, should I get him a potty?

He doesn't poop in the car or when someone is holding him or looking at him. He wants to sit on the floor and no one look at him, or else he will hold it in till you go away. Is that normal? Is it a sign he wants to potty?

I was going to get him a potty for his birthday, would that be a good idea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, not ready. If you start too soon it will back fire later on.
    Anonymous

• Very normal and wayyy too young to start potty training.
    Anonymous

• I disagree! Buy the potty.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It is normal and it is a sign of readiness. There are MANY signs - some of which you will only recognize after the fact and some of which your son may never show. He may master potty training before he shows all of the signs.

Should you get a potty? It can't hurt. When he about to poop, tell him "It looks like you need to poop. Let's go to the bathroom. People poop in the bathroom." He needs to learn the word for the feeling and the action. And he needs to associate the bathroom with what he's doing. Once there, give him privacy. Put a couple of 'pooping only" toys in the bathroom, put him on the floor and let him play. Leave the door open but sit outside.
    Once you get the potty, you can transition him to sitting on the potty to poop.
    Then you can move to taking off his diaper before he poops. Until then, be sure to empty the poop from his diaper into the big potty so he learns that poop goes in the potty.

cont
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'd say get the potty chair. If he likes the privacy, he'll be better knowing he can have it in the bathroom on the potty chair. My daughter has been using the potty to poop since 18 months. Does your son get constipated? It may be he just wants his privacy. If he knows he can use the potty in private, go for it. Is he an only child? Any cousins around?

Only you and your child can truely know when to start potty training.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Once you start, stick with it. Be patient and gentle but stick with it. Going back to ignoring him and letting him poop anywhere will send a mixed message and may make it harder the next time you start.
    Be aware that it does not matter how young you start. He will learn this at his own pace and in his own time. If he will be ready to fully learn it at 35 months, then that's when he will learn it - even if you've been teaching for 2 years.

So - evaluate yourself more than him. Are YOU ready? If not, then don't start. If so, then go for it. Slow and gentle. Patient and steady. And be prepared for the long haul... and happily surprised if he learns it quicker.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• A sign of readiness is hiding and being aware of the fact that he is pooping, but I think 11 months is too young to pottytrain. I would still get him the potty, and let him sit on it a couple of times every day. For example right before or after a nap, give him a little book to look at, and let him sit there by himself. I did that with my oldest, and she really enjoyed sitting there reading and sometimes she peed or pooped. She was not completely potty trained until she was 2 and a half, though. Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2009