How am I suppose to feel?

Hello,
I'm new to Cafemom, I saw it on Hoda and Kathy Lee show and thought I might enjoy this.
I have been a stay at home mom for 6 years and have 2 kids, 12 and 8. I also worked on and off for my kids school district while my kids were in school like 4-5 hours. My sons will be back to school in a couple of weeks and I have been submitting job applications to school again but no luck....I really want to work again just while my kids are in school not a full time, 40+ hours. My husband says not to rush it we are doing just fine financially all our bills are covered. But I feel useless I find myself at home doing nothing bored watching TV or computer...I tired of that I need to do some work....I love my kids and I like being home when they come back from school. Is anyone in the same position as me?? If so how do you feel what do you do to feel better...

jerseygirl40

Asked by jerseygirl40 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'm not in that position yet but I can see it coming in the near future (my little one is only 3). Once she goes to school, I don't know what I will do. I may look into volunteering at her school or I may look into a part time job. Like you, I want to be there when she comes home. I actually think that is critical as a child gets older - that time in the afternoon to connect with a preteen or teen. Even if they ignore you and refuse to tell you a single thing, they know you are there and will listen.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I started part time work when my children were both in school, so I could be home when they got home. I ended up making a career of the job.

Answer by Bmat at 3:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Kaycee14, you're right...especially when those teen years come (which will soon) I want to be home for them. For me its hard to get a full-time job I can if I wanted to but I wont my kids come first and I thank God that I'm in a positon where I can stay home. But there are times were I want to get out and feel more useful. Thanks for your answer.
    jerseygirl40

Answer by jerseygirl40 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I am sorta in that situation, my youngest child is 14 and I'm still a SAHM....but I babysit my grandson 5 days a week, while his mom works, he's 3...so I feel useful again!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Until you are able to find work, why not be a School Mom or class room mom at your kids school. There are always teachers who could use the help. Then you can pick a grade you like the most.
    I know Kindergarten teachers can use all the help they can get. Since the school is in no position to pay you and your DH says you don't really need the money, volunteer somewhere.
    Necie11

Answer by Necie11 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I volunteer at my daughters school a few days a week. School budgets are tight and the teachers sure do appreciate the help. I did reading groups with the kids that could read while the teacher helped other kids, I planned parties, I coordinated with other parents on things the classroom needed. There were other parents that did other volunteer stuff besides in the classroom too. It is very important to me to be available to my kids and also to be involved in what happens at school. I promise you that the schools need all the help they can get!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Patience654

Answer by Patience654 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2009