• In the Spotlight:

I have a 18mth. old and he sometimes just doesn't want to eat, what can I do?

He will eat a little and than that is it... what can I do?

kidooks

Asked by kidooks at 3:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nothing. Just keep offering him food. If he starts to get sick and/or loose weight, then I would bring it up to the Pedi. But it is a phase that most kids go through. He'll be fine.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 3:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Definitely a phase kids go through...just keep offering him food. If and when he is hungry he will know to eat. Offer foods he does like and give snacks throughout the day also. GL
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I agree - nothing.
    Your job is to buy decent food, prepare it, and offerr it to him at set meal times. If it's not a meal or snack time, it's not time to eat.
    His job is to decide how much of what you offered he will eat. He may even choose to eat nothing. That's his choice.

The more you cater to him, the more you pressure him, the less he will eat. Give him good food to choose from at set times and let him choose. Never ever bribe (one more bite of peas and you can have a cookie), never ever pressure (no TV until you eat a bite of everything), never ever cater (you don't like chicken? Let me get you a hot dog instead).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• When he's hungry he will eat. My son is almost two and still does it sometimes.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i agree with the others... you can bring the food to the child but you cannot force the child to eat. you can offer a supplement like pedia sure to fill in the gaps if you feel its nessesary but i would check with the pediatrtion first. sometimes they love a food and the next day want nothing to do it. there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it...just be patient and remember that over the courseof a week the calories add up. i think they only need like a 1000 calories a day at this age...which really isn't alot if you think about it, and make sure the snacks you offer are healthy and contain protein or vitamins. you can also get the pedi to write you an rx for a multivitiamin if you feel its needed.
    livetolaughlove

Answer by livetolaughlove at 4:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If your really worried about it, give him a vitamin, and write down what he will eat when y ou fix things. Then figure out what he does like, and also discuss with your dr about your results. Writting a food journal helps though because it might just be something they don't like. Sometimes it could just be a texture, or not in the mood. Keep feeding them different things at different times.
    kellylsmith141

Answer by kellylsmith141 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Don't force him to eat. Keep offering a variety of healthy foods. Toddlers go through phases. Overall my 20 month old is super picky, but there are also days when he eats more than others. Nothing to worry about. Growth slows down a lot after the first birthday so toddlers don't typically eat as much as you would think. A serving for a one year old is really only a tablespoon or two of food.
    butterflyblu

Answer by butterflyblu at 6:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• my son does the same thing sometime he eats and sometimes he does. the dr told us at the his last vist that is prefectly fine if he doesn't eat because he is just human and doesn't want anything.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• my daughter is also 18 months and does the same thing. i just pile her plate up with what we are eating and let her pick through it. if she doesn't want to eat dinner before bed time than maybe she eats a little more in the morning, it still isn't alot, but then again her stomach is very tiny compared to mine, so what fills me up and her up is a world of difference. two grapes and 3 apple slices may fill her up with a cup of milk while at dinner three forfuls of noodles may fill her up. so long as she is happy i'm happy well and healthy (that also makes me happy)
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 7:20 PM on Jul. 22, 2009