How do I convince my 3 1/2 year old to poop (sorry if TMI) in the toilet?

I am having THE hardest time getting my 3 1/2 yr old son to poop in the toilet/potty. He has been holding it for the last couple of weeks until I have to give a suppository to make him poop. I don't think I really need to convince him persay as I am the adult here! But how do I do this? We have been potty training with him going on six months, with the pooping part anyways. He has been peeing in the toilet for about a year with no accidents. Goes to bed with underwear on and wakes up dry. Will not even poop in a diaper or pull-up if offered. He says he is scared of the toilet, but after he is made to go he is so proud of himself. This is breaking my heart please help if you can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you have a potty chair that you can put in the bathroom on the floor? I know that at first my boys were afraid of the toilet so we got them a little potty chair and had a mickey mouse padded seat that you could put on the regular toilet to make it their size. After that we never had a problem. I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yes we have a seperate potty for him, it doesn't seem to matter where he is or the potty or toilet is or whos house, he holds it. I'm afraid he is going to get really sick.
    Anonymous

• He will get distended if he holds it in... so just put him back into diapers/pull ups. THere is no point in traumatizing the poor guy.

Our daughter had issues and it was actually health related with her colon. She's now on Miralax daily (going on a year now) and sees a GI specialist. So all my "I'm not understanding why you won't poop." was for naught and she had a medical issue.

Our son, 20 month, might be a different story. I take him to the bathroom with me and tell him i'm going poop. I show it to him and we say ByeBye poop, have fun at the poop party. And then he flushes the toilet for me.

Just remember PT is like a wheel.. you have ups and you have downs, but always rolling forward.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 5:18 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Oh, did you buy the book "Everybody poops "?
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 5:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I am having financial difficulties (aren't we all?) And can't afford to purchase any books/DVD's or anything. To LYNNARD: Was your DD pooping regularly before you found out she had a medical condition or was it always hard for her? The reason I ask is, this for us anyways has ONLY been since we really started to train with the poop part. Someone I think has convinced him that it's not ok to poop in your pants so he won't-even if it's a diaper/pull-up. I don't want to backtrack with him cuz we have a DD who is close to being trained too. I think I will have to call the doc. Thanks!
    Anonymous