Ok, this is a ridiculous question, lmao...should I even ask this?

Ok...how do I start? Ok, so my husband farts in front of me, lol. Great start, I know! There is little discretion between the two of us. We're expecting out first baby, and the other day we were arguing (jokingly) because I told him that he cannot do that when our son gets older because I don't want him to think it's okay to just fart around everybody and in public. In my opinion, it's bad manners, and in my family, we never did that in front of anybody, even each other(with the exception of my little brother farting ON me, lol). HE SAYS that it's no bid deal. So...how do you teach your kids to not be ashamed of a bodily function, but to use discretion as to when and where this is okay?

Seriously...I don't know why I'm asking something so ridiculous, so I apologize, lol, but I was really wondering.

Should I go anon for this?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Your child will learn how to behave in public by the way YOU behave IN PUBLIC, and learn how to behave at home by the way YOU behave at home. They can and WILL make distinctions because they will see that YOU distinguish between those two places. So at home, if it is ok to toot in the living room, then he will see that, but he will also see that in public mommy and daddy don't do that. So he will attempt not to. Now, you have to realize that by the time he is of the age to even be able to control that, he will be old enough to be spoken to and have it explained to him clearly. A 3 year old cannot control their farts, they are just learning how to control their bowels, but a 6 year old can be taken off and told that this is nto appropriate in public.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• LOL, my SO farts on me! He thinks it's funny, just like a little kid, but he *does* use discretion in public.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think it's rude and disgusting to fart in front of someone intentionally.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I know it's gross in public...my husband won't fart in front of anyone but me...ut what I'm saying is...if my son sees that...HE may think it's okay in public, and I don't think it is.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I should have clarified that my husband doesn't walk around farting front of everybody, lol...great, now everyone is going to think my husband is some rude slob, haha. Just at home, like I said. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't think it's any big deal. Farts happen. I think you should say "excuse me" if you fart in front of others, but I don't hold it in or rush into another room or something. It's just gas.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I agree with riotgrrl. Making sure that he says "excuse me" after he does it in front of someone is enough to show that he does have some manners.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My SO farts in front of me too! I'll just look at him and he'll look around like he's saying "who did that?" But now our 4 year old is starting to think it's funny to fart at people even though his dad doesn't do that. So I just tell him that farting on purpose in front of others is not nice and he needs to say excuse me if he can't help it. We'll see how it works!
    Anonymous

• I think your question is great, and in my household there is the farting game...it's so gross! But I must say that in public the kids and husband know the difference.

As little ones they just fart and burb wherever they want but as they get older we work on excuse me, which in the beginning they think gives them permission to do it, but slowly they learn the difference.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Even if your husband stops doing it in front of your little one it wont matter. When kids get to be around 2-3 they are fascinated with potty talk! They think farting and pooping is so funny, mine did anyway! So honestly I dont think it matters if he stops or not and they are going to do it in public too when they are little. Mine farted a really smelly one in like at home depot one time and I was so emberassed but really what are you going to do? Then he announced it. Thats about when I bent down and told him that he should do that in the store and he wanted to know why. lol I have four kids and many farting in public stories! lol
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 4:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009