Trying to go from bottles to slippy cups he is 12 months any advice?

Draydensmom7708

Asked by Draydensmom7708 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• start out with the soft topped ones. I found them at walgreens for only a dollar a piece last year, and my LO liked them way better than the hard plastic ones at first.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Does he drink out of a sippy now? If so just throw away the bottles, tell him that they need to go be other little kids who need them because he is a big boy maybe he will appreciate this, if not already drinking from a sippy, you need to start on that before tossing everything.
    Anonymous

• My sister is dealing with this now. Let him throw the bottles away, then let him put the ice and hold the cup for you and you can poor the drink. ANY sipee will work just don't go back and give him a bottle no matter how upset he is. You will be thankful for not giving in. I never had the problem only because when my daughter turned 1 I started with the sippee. I would give her sippee during the day and bottle at night for a couple of weeks. Then just started trading it for sippee. She didn't fuss. We have the straw sipees and she likes these but I have all kinds and she takes any kind as long as she can get something to drink.
    kellylsmith141

Answer by kellylsmith141 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• As soon as he demonstrates he can drink from the cup, get rid of ALL the bottles. He doesn't need them any longer.

Anonymous

• Get rid of the bottles completely and don't look back. If he is capable of drinking from a cup, which most 12 month olds should, then the bottle is unnecessary. If he refuses the cups, keep offering them. He will drink when he's thirsty. I had no problem getting my son to drink out of a sippy if it was watered down juice. Milk was harder. He didn't like the taste. I kept offering it and eventually he drank it no problem. The bottle wasn't so much of an issue as the taste of regular milk, but it's the same concept.
    butterflyblu

Answer by butterflyblu at 6:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Just throw away the bottles. If he gets thirsty enough, he'll drink from the sippy cup. It worked for me...twice.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2009