What are some ways to have a CHEAP beachside wedding?

I know I'm way ahead of myself but my man is going to be moving here and then we will be "officially" engaged. Anyway we've already discussed some wedding ideas & he wants a small, intimate wedding on the beach. But, we're tight on cash and I'm sure still will be once he moves here...so I'm trying to come up with ways to have a gorgeous wedding, on a beer budget :)

SuperHumanC

Asked by SuperHumanC at 3:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• My nephew and wife had an outside wedding at a park. They made their own invitations, they did not have any attendants, for flowers they bought local flowers that morning from the farmers market and lined the walkway with vases of the flowers, and she bundled up some of the flowers for her bouquet. For music they had a friend sing, and another friend played the harp. I belive they did have someone to take pictures. They also handed out disposable cameras (to those who wanted one) to take candid shots too. I belive they looked up a justice of the peace online to marry them. For reception they had a cookout at the park.
    It was simple, but they made it very elegant and fun.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Limit!!! The guest list to begin with but then choose a signature cocktail to serve versus having an open bar. Choose the time of day you have your ceremony - avoiding dinner time. My DH and I just served hor' deurves (sp?) One thing that is very fun on a beach is to have a clam bake or just have nice champagne and wedding cake and put your money into choosing nice invitations to set the mood and to add elegant touches to your ceremony site.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 3:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I live at the beach so see them all the time. The only cost I can see is to whoever is officiating. The beach is public so there is no cost. We have a park that has a gazebo deck for those who want the beach back drop without the sand in the shoes or they can walk down to the water's edge. You can have the reception there as well but I doubt if the cake will last long in the heat. My dd was going to do that but she was renting a room in a hotel for the reception afterward. Now they decided on a wedding under a magnolia tree in Indiana instead.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• ohhh go collect tons of shells and use them for decoration on tables or something
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The shells for decorations is a really good idea!! :)

I was planning on making my own invitations (I'm very creative & awesome on a computer!) Really I'm more concerned with the food & alcohol part along with the reception. I'd want there to be food & alcohol plus I want a DJ so we can dance and have fun. But that seems sooo expensive. We already decided we're keeping the guest list WAY down...which really isn't too bad b/c we don't have many friends or family anyway (WOOHOO! haha) So that won't be a problem!

I guess it's the logistics?

SuperHumanC

Answer by SuperHumanC at 3:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• We had our wedding on the beach and it was free. As far as the location went. We paid for an officiant, the florist, and a violinist. You could probably skip the violinist and florist and just pay an officiant. The reception at a hotel on the beach is where the bulk of our money went. I agree to keep it small if you don't have a lot of money to spend. Also having it earlier in the day so you can serve appetizers instead of a full meal can be one way to cut back on costs. One area I would advise you not to scrimp on is the photographer.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2009