Do you let your kids make a huge mess....?

When at a restaurant, do you let your kids make a huge mess? If so, do you clean it up afterward? All the time I see parents allow their children and babies to throw food directly onto the floor, then leave it all for the server to clean...I won't ever do this. I know it's their job, but still. Do YOU allow this behavior?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is one of my biggest pet peeves about eating in public. I hate hate hate when other parents allow their kids to make huge messes. It's disrespectful and I can't even imagine how their own kitchen looks if they allow that behavior in public.

My son is 13 months old and will sometimes throw his food, or play with it. Usually when he starts to throw something, we take away the food immediately. And we clean up our area before we leave, which includes picking up the pieces on the floor (if there are any) and wiping the table where our son was.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I know that kaylee is going to drop food, and if she doesn't like something she has a tendency to throw it down; however, I discourage this behavior and do my best to pick it up before we leave.

BTW she is 14 months old.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i dont let them make a huge mess, they never really made huge messes but i tried to clean it up as they dropped it.
    luckyhart

Answer by luckyhart at 3:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I understand that kids will make a mess...but I'm not the type to allow them to make a huge mess and then leave it for the server to clean up. I'll try to clean up at least some of it so that they aren't overwhelmed.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 3:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No. My baby is 13 months and I always check the floor and pick up most of it before we leave! She throws stuff on the floor she doesn't want to eat and makes a huge mess!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I expect my daughter to make a mess. She is 17 months old. However, she doesn't throw food or anything. My son is 7, and more able to eat without covering the table/floor area. He generally cleans up his own messes if need be. I don't allow my children to behave any differently in restaurants than I would at the dinner table. I work in food service, I have seen so many people come in with even one child, and when they leave, it looks like the place has never once been cleaned. Then I have seen the ones that come in with 5 or more children, and the area still looks relatively clean afterward.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I always make sure that my kids are clean for the most part and little mess is understandable, but I make them help me pick up before we leave. A waitress is there to serve people not slave over them. I think its disrespectful that people think that the waitress should have to clean up after there kids. Also what are people teaching their children these days what happened to table manners and respect for others are self respect.
    nikimullins

Answer by nikimullins at 3:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• OMG I used to be a busser and this one couple had one tiny little girl with them, couldn't have been much older then a year old. They left the hugest mess I've ever seen! Food everywhere, on the floor, in between the booth seats. Took me forever to clean and they didn't even leave a tip for me or the server!
    Anyway to answer your question! I know kids are going to make a mess when they eat but I try to keep it to a minimum and I'm notorious for cleaning the table before we leave! I guess since I used to do it for a living, it makes me more sensitive! I'll pile our dishes so the server can pick them up at once and wipe the table with a napkin so it makes it faster for whoever has to clean it up. I don't scrub the table down! I just make sure it doesn't look like pigs were eating there!
    Anonymous

• We had meal at a nice restaurant in Disneyworld a few years ago. I was shocked when the family next to us had left, the floor around their table was covered with food as was their tablecloth and chairs. There were three workers who came over and patiently cleaned it all up. The parents' permitting such a mess sure sends a not so good message to the children in that family.

Answer by Bmat at 3:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I do not pick every tiny morsel up that my daughter drops. I make an attempt to get the most of it and leave a huge gigantic tip. I always tip more when my dd is with us.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2009