Can someone tell me the difference between

A birth certificate and a certificate of live birth?

I went last week to enroll my daughter into Jr. high last week (I can't believe she's 11 and in the 6th grade) and I had all needed information except for her BC, because it wasn't on the list of things to bring when enrolling. I came home to discover that I don't have a birth certificate but a certificate of live birth. I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, pray forgive me; but what's the difference?

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No different!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't know, I was born 53 years ago, and I have a certificate of live birth. It has worked perfectly fine as a birth certificate all my life. I got a driver's licence, passport, concealed weapon permit, and everything else that has ever asked for my birth certificate with it.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Well here in the good 'ol state of MD when you request a certificate of birth from the division of Vital Records you're given a certificate of live birth; this is what I have.Is it different in other states.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No difference as long as it has an official state seal
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 3:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think I am totally off base with my last post...sorry! I just looked at my son's "birth certificates" and they say certificate of live birth. If it is the one you got from the vital records office, and it has the state seal on it it is the correct document.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I believe that they are one in the same.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 4:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The live birth is from the hospital, the birth certificate is from the county.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 4:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My sons were born in NJ and PA. In NJ, my sons Birth Certificate (state seal) lists all of his birth details--parents names, maiden name, time, weight, blood type, attending physician, etc.

In PA, my son received a "basic" Birth Certificate--name, date, parents names, maiden name, and state seal. And I also received an "unofficial certificate of birth" from the hospital with all of the details that my older son's state issued birth certificate contains.

What's REALLY laughable is I was born in Boston, Mass., almost 41 years ago, and my state certified Birth Certificate direct from the Division of Vital Statistics is HAND WRITTEN!!!! And until about 10 years ago, your actual Driver's License ID Number was your SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!! Talk about potential for identity theft!!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• As I understand it, a Birth Certificate shows the hospital where the birth took place, the name of the doctor, and such details. Whereas a Certificate of Live Birth can be created at the request of parents who just come in stating that their child was born in such-and-such a place on this or that date.

The ongoing indignation that Obama has never revealed his Birth Certificate centers around this very distinction. The Certificate of Live Birth posted on the internet, etc. is quite simply NOT a Birth Certificate ! So it does not show a birth hospital or doctor, and thus does not prove that he is a "Natural Born Citizen" and eligible to be President of the US.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It's the same thing. Unless what you have is from the hospital. Usually, when a baby is born, the parents get two birth certificates. One from the hospital, which is NOT a legal document, and one from the state, which IS a legal document.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2009