13 potty mouth

My 13 year old daughter was on the phone with me and swore. I let it go and just told her to watch her mouth. But now it seems she swearing a lot. I've told her that when she's 18, has her own job and own place she can do as she sees fit and but as long as she lives in my home it wont be allowed. But it doesn't seem to stop her. What else can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• When i was younger i would swear and my mom said we swear we pay ever swear word we said costed us a dollar. if we did not have the money and when allowance time rolled away she would give it to us and make us pay the debt for swearing and not paying. trust me i stopped swear in a week or less
    victoriak12708

Answer by victoriak12708 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• Don't tell her she can do it when she is 18, that is just going to make her want to do it more because at 13, kids just want to act like adults. Ask her "do you know how ugly you sound when you say that?" It won't fly in my house. If swear words come out, something of theirs is going up.....something they can't live without. You need to tell her how un-educated swearing sounds, & that the more you swear, the more stupid people will think you are. That is the truth, swearing sounds un-educated. It is not cool, or even an OK think for an adult to do. It's just ugly sounding. Get onto her EVERY time you hear her swear, i mean GET ON HER BUTT! Don't let it fly, or she will try to take advantage of that. She already did the first time you let it slide.

Anonymous

• Tell her that she will Not talk to you that way and she will NOT talk that way around you. She needs to have that respect for you and any adult. I used to cuss all the time but my mom never heard me say a word till i was out of the house and i still tone it down alot because its a respect thing. I will say crap in front of her but thats it. Im the same way with my grandparents i have that respect for them.
    Anonymous

• Look her in her eyes and tell her that cussing will not be tolerated. Give her the mean look that mom's give out and let her know you mean business. If she cusses, grab a bar of soap and shove it down her mouth!! LOL...just kidding on that one....but your the adult and if cussing is not tolerated in your home, you must put your foot down and show her who's the boss.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• take away the phone for a few days

Answer by rkoloms at 10:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• rkoloms said take her phone away for a few days but taking phones away never work its like saying to us;
    OMG you hit you son
    no sex for you for a week!
    is that going to change what your doing as soon as that week goes by your going to go back to doing same old same old or they will just do what you said not to do ( she will have a potty pro even when he phone is away.)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I agree with taking the phone away - for example, even just 1 day for each curse word. Or what ever else makes her tick! My DD got in a bad habit of using a few words we didn't like - we warned her and then told her she'd lose her afternoon going out privileges - 1 afternoon per curse word. Well, sure enough... after 5 during a 2 week period (we were on vacation, so the punishment took affect when we got back), she stopped. We wound up punishing her for 3 afternoons, then ended it but told her the punishment is back on if it starts again - it's been months and it hasn't.

What I can't stand is really thoughtless cursing. I know I curse sometimes when something major goes wrong - so I'd allow, with in reason, the same for my kids. But you do have to react so that cursing doesn't become a habit.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 11:42 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Respect respect respect. Tell her, in a respectful way that she needs to show respect for you, your (our) home and especially to herself.
    Anonymous