Would you be leary of a childcare provider who only wanted to keep newborns?

Even if you need childcare for a newborn, would an ad that suggested they wanted to watch only fresh from the womb newborns worry you? I am looking for childcare and those ads looking for specific types of children to watch creep me out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is because newborns are easy to take care off... they sleep all day. I wouldn't bring my kids to a daycare until they were over a year, so i guess the whole babies in day care thing is what creeps me out.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I would ran the other way, too many waco's in this world. It is good to follow your gut instinct when it comes to your child. Don't bother to investigate any further, if it doesn't feel right, don't do it, that's my best advice.

Keep looking for the child care arrangement that gives you peace of mind and still then research them thoroughly. background checks, criminal records, the whole enchilada, don't spare any amount of time or money research, research some more until you are confident that your precious one is safe and sound.

Good luck and keep up the good work mama, follow your gut instinct.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My Grandmother in-law Ran a daycare for 22 years and the last 7 years all she took in was newborns to 1 years old. It sounds to me that your judging a ad before you meet the person behind that ad. I am not trying to bash you at all. I do understand what your saying there are weird peoples out there.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Anon 4:00 - Have you consider that it is very hard for a mom to leave her child in somebody else's care? I understand it is your opinion that it creeps you out but I know this mama doesn't need the "guilty trip" you are freely giving.

Every situation is different I know most mom's that work (for whatever reason) they do leave their children in day care with a heavy heart so let's make it easier on them. Regardless if you are a SAHM or work out of the house, we are all mom's let's support each other in good spirits.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'd be more worried is they specified a specific gender.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If I saw an ad or heard of a person/place that said newborns only it would put me off a bit. I would wonder why only newborns and at what age the person would no longer want to watch the child ( like when baby is 6mo, 1yr...). It would concern me in the fact that my child would bond with this person, and depending on the cut-off age I would have to uproot my child from someone familiar and find a new provider.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i'm a daycare provider. I used to work in a hospital that had an infant ward, and all i took care of was infants. I loved this job, so i can see why somepeople enjoy infants...but it is in no way easy work. Infants require a lot of care. IF a daycare person lets a child sleep all day, they are not doing their job.
    I now have a mixed age group since i have my own daycare now. I couldn't image caring for a child until age one only, but that's me. I love haveing a inter-generational setting, and i do think it's best for all children. They learn from each other so much. I only accept one baby, two toddlers, and 2-3 preschoolers at one time, so i can meet all there needs. Usually, while my toddlers sleep, my preschoolers are doing art, games, etc. it's a great one to one time for me and baby.
    cont....
    Anonymous

• I am the op and yes there are some ads that look for specific genders. Some say it is so their LO can have a playmate but still. I can understand having had extensive experience with a particular age group but most of these from what I am finding out do not have experience. They are housewives looking for income I suppose. There are so many ads aimed toward pg women and those who have just given birth. With all of the kidnapping scams its just weird to only want babies.
    Anonymous

• Some states have certain restrictions on age groups, like if you have more than 2 under 18months you have to be an infant only program (w/ a total of 4 infants). One reason infant rates are more. Also, infant insurance is much more costly.
    Now, on the flipside...a person i know very well, unfortunately, will only care for those under 2. Why? becasue they can't talk. She lets them sleep all day, sit in front of the tv all day, and there is no educational learning/stimulation going on. I know this b/c he teenage daughter tells me, and she makes her teen watch the kids while she even naps upstairs! Despite reporting her to lisceincing services, she gets away with this.
    Oh, and before anyone says anything about me...i'm off work.
    Word of mouth is best. Don't make assumptions based on an ad (i imagine there is limited space to explain about a program-don't know, never had to advertise), cont...
    Anonymous

• but meet the providers in person a few times, visit the daycare, a few times, and where ever you send your child, call daily, ask what exactly the baby did all day...stay on top of it. If it doesn't feel right with your provider, trust your instinct, you may need a diff. setting.
    Anonymous