Have you ever worked in food service?

For over 4 years when I was younger, I served and bartended in restaurants. I think everyone should have to serve for a little bit in their life...you just wouldn't believe the rudeness you get from people sometimes, and for so little money. If you HAVE worked in the food/beverage industry...or in ANY service industry..what is the worst experience you've had with a customer? I'll have to think about my worst experience. I'm glad I'm no longer doing that, because honestly...I don't have the patience that I used to, and I think I'd lose it on the first day and go off on someone now, lol.

So...share you stories. :)

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• I did it for 7 years. I was always shocked at the ignorance of people! One night I had a lady take a swing at me and then go to the manager (and eventually the corporate office) because she said I refused to seat her in the smoking section. She said that I had something against HER because every week by the time she got there the smk section was full so I must have been seating people there just so she couldn't sit there.

Now, you have to understand also, that we only had 9 tables in out smoking section and she never showed til the tail end of our after bar rush...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• After 30 years too many stories! But the people i have worked with are the best in the worrld!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I have to add...you do also come across some very nice people who are very grateful of your service as well, It's not all bad...and sometimes you can make pretty good money, depending on where you work.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Ugh. As much as I hated some of the crap that I had to deal with as a bartender and server I hate re-living it anymore.
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 4:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I started out working at a small Restaurant in the mall, and worked there as a cashier then moved up to the kitchen manager. I now own my own Restaurant and manage it by my self, looking back at it, those years i worked at that small little store were the happiest and best years of my life. I loved that job and had a great time doing it, but i am happy i moved on i make tons more money and I still am cooking all or most of the food we serve.
    Anonymous

• I worked in two seperate restraunts, the first one I was 19 and the rude person was actually my boss! He was a jerk to everyone but the customers. He was so awful I only worked there for four days! And about a month after I quit two other waitresses quit. The second restraunt the customer kept giving me attitude and laughing it off, then was talking shi* about my dad, and I was seriously tempted to drop his soup on his lap, til my sister (who worked with me) said you dont remember him do you? And I was like No I dont know that a**hole. But apparently he was an old friend of my dads and I met him when I was way younger and he was just joking around. But anytime he came in after that, I still kinda wanted to drop his food on his lap. Could'nt get over that first meeting.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I worked at Friendly's ice cream and food place. One day a lady came in for take out ice cream, but instead of going to the window, she decided to get seated. I was a server, serving her and five other tables that were there before her. She was such a snotty woman. Had the nerve to get mad at me for telling her that it would take longer then the ten minutes she requested. Telling me it couldn't possibly take more than ten minutes to make two ice creams. Well, thats why we had the window, for ice cream only take-out customers. I guess i was supposed to drop every order i had and serve her first..........................She was sooooo rude, then left me 2 pennies for a tip. I think she was trying to be a b*tch, seriously i wouldn't have minded if i got nothing, but @ FRAKING pennies!!!! Ugghhhhh!
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i will never eat at fast food places after working there for 2 years! you could immagine! and yes, dropped food was put back in the cooker, no one washed there hands, and they did really nasty things to peoples food who were rude in the drivethru. and i was young at the time, maybe like 17 or 16, me and my friend would make fun of the fat people by asking them..would you like a barge order? they would say excuse me? lol then we made it sound like they were crazy .. and we would say.. would you like a large? hahaha! and yes.. if your gonna eat a jui y hamburger... and you think theres too much mayo...then your right..(not all of it is mayo) i know, this is nasty..but this was a long time ago! hope your not hungry!
    Anonymous