Does anyone have any suggestions for teaching your preschooler?

I am home for the summer with my preschooler and I really want him to get the most out of learning. Paying for preschool during the summer when I am home seems pointless. So I wanted to do something with him. I bought the your baby can read dvd's and we are doing them but I dont want that to be all that we do.

Any suggestions on what we can do???

litlmama06

Asked by litlmama06 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First, if you still can, return the "Your Baby Can Read" series. Put that $300 in a savings account for college. At best, the program will teach him to recognize a few words. At worst, it will teach him that the way to learn to read is to memorize what a word looks like. He isn't learning Chinese. He's learning English. He needs to learn phonics. Studies have shown that kids who learn to sight read first fall behind their phonics first peers and struggle to catch-up - many never do. Don't hurt his long term success. Dump that program.

What can you do to help him? Read to him. Have your own "Letter of the Day". Teach him the sounds of that letter. Have silly games of who can find the most A's at the store. Fill a shallow pan with corn meal and have fun drawing in it. Have a color, shape, and number of the day too every once in a while. Most of all - PLAY. Keep it fun and don't push "education".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Go to your local library, check out local at factories, or even just a business! Often they will give tours. I used to work at a Pre-school that in the summer we had "school M-W-F then on Tues & Thurs it was field trip days. We toured Dairy Queen, Wendy's, a concrete plant etc...Our library has puppet shows every Tuesday, Our Botanical Garden has free classes on Thursdays. Go online to your city's website and check it out! Good luck!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Get him a bunch of brushes, crayons, a craft table and have fun drawing, doing hand painting, star a garden, grab a parental magazine on barnes and noble they are full of great ideas for the summer.

Here are some:
    1.- Have him help you make fresh lemonade, drink it outside
    2.- Ask him why of things and why not. Is it raining outside? Why not?
    3.- Count all doors in your house
    4.- What is your favorite ____ fill in the blank
    5.- Dance to the beat of music
    6.- Create a theme of the week: This week is Australia theme so we will learn about koalas, do the kangaroo hop, etc.

Have fun and enjoy him/her. It doesn't have a s structured activite if you ran out of ideas, get outside and play with the host of water (weather permitting of course)

get a ball and practice, throw the ball, kick the ball, catch the ball, make a beam with tape and practice balance. Have fun.

I hope some of these ideas got you
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The simple things is how they learn. Go get the $1 letter magnets , buy a couple of packages and put them on your fridge. Spell words with your baby everyday. All day point at different colors in the house and tell them what color. Sing learning songs, not to many, let them learn the song. Read to them. Go to museums, they love that. Go to the zoo and teach the animals. Print pictures of animals off of microsoft word or the internet too....theres all kinds of things just be creative....kids will appriate that more!
    kellylsmith141

Answer by kellylsmith141 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Throw away those useless DVD's.

It's summer....play with him. He's going to be in school for enough years. Why burn him out on learning this early?

Every thing you do with him is teaching him.

You're not kicking the ball back and forth, you're kicking a blue ball back and forth.

You're not just blowing and popping bubbles, you're blowing and popping 1, 2, 3.....bubbles.

Libraries have story time and craft time. Go to the zoo. Go to the play ground. Go on a picnic.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009